Sunday, February 27, 2011

Lonely to Lively to Lonely

Chris and Juliet and the puppies were here this weekend. Its always fun when they come. My house goes from quiet with just me and Quincy to a whirlwind of activity. Puggy and Layla are still young dogs full of energy and so they are busy dragging things out of closets if you don’t shut the door, and digging in the trash and going in and out of the back door.

They are up and down the stairs chasing each other for a toy. When they do settle down its at night and then they fight over who gets to sleep right next to me and crowd me off my bed. Puggy usually wins that one and then falls into a deep, loud sleep. He could use a cpap machine I think. His snores rattle the wall.

They try to get Quincy to join in the fun but he mostly just stays under the bed and growls at them if they get too close to him. He is usually sulking because I have had to put up his dog bed so it won’t be unstuffed. He looks at me and I know he’s thinking “when are they leaving”?

Puggy always picks up his bowl of dog food and makes a trail with it through the house. Then he eats one kernel at a time all weekend long. I just step around it. The leftover cereal milk has to be divided 3 ways which requires 3 bowls. And a monitor to watch over and make sure whoever finishes first doesn’t attack the other 2 for theirs.

And that’s just the animal activity. Hanging out with Juliet is awesome cause we talk about everything. Ocassionally, I have to say EARMUFFS Chris and he usually just gets up and leaves the room so he doesn’t hear something he’d rather not.

She gives me clothes advice and makeup advice and relationship advice and for someone as young as she is, she is very wise. I always trust her to have my best interest at heart and she would never steer me wrong. She doesn’t sugar coat or beat around the bush about her feelings and I welcome her honesty. I think sometimes poor Chris feels like the 3rd wheel when Juliet and Elan as she calls me get together. But we have fun as well.

He tells me about his latest music projects and talks about work and Church and the things he is involved in.These 2 still hold hands after almost 4 years and that is a wonderful thing to see.

We go to dinner and to the casino and to church (seems weird to have that in one sentence). We usually go to Tulsa and shop a little and I’m always sad to see the weekend coming to a close. Tonight we are driving to Tulsa to meet Andy to celebrate his 23rd birthday and it will be one of those moments where the world is perfect for me because I have the 3 of them all in the same place.

I understand now why my mom would just glow when all us kids would make it to her house for Sunday dinner or a Holiday. She would radiate joy. I would think about how messy her house was going to be when all the kids and grandkids left…but she wasn’t the least bit concerned. She was busy soaking up our presence, the best present of all. That’s how I feel about my kids when they visit. What a gift.

Because tomorrow my house will be quiet once again. A little messier, a little cooler (cause I always turn the thermostat up for Juliet who is always cold)…..and a whole lot lonelier.

Still, I’m grateful for the time I do get to spend with them and that they want to hang out with me. I know that a few weeks from now they’ll come back or I’ll go there and though I always hate when its time to go and to see them go the time we spend together and the memories we make are precious to me.

I love my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment