Lent is the beginning of a 40 day period leading up to Easter. Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of that period and traditionally for some involves giving up, or sacrificing something pleasurable. From chocolate to facebook to alcohol, there are all sorts of things people choose to “fast” from for these 40 days.
I am thinking outside the box on this one since I have pretty much given up the “pleasurable foods” in my attempt to lose weight. So I’m not eating chocolate or sweets anyway so that would be cheating to give those up. I don’t drink enough alcohol to make it really seem like a sacrifice. My vice at the moment is McDonalds oatmeal which is the perfect consistency and flavor and I am addicted to it. But that seems kind of silly to give up something that is actually good for me. Unless of course I take the money spent on it each morning and donate that to something. That’s a thought.
But since 40 days is enough time to form a habit if adhered to, I decided for Lent to give up 30 minutes of free time a day to exercise, specifically to walk everyday. That is definitely a sacrifice for me because I’d much rather sit in my recliner and watch mind numbing television, or take a 30 minute nap when I get home from work. In keeping with the “spiritual” intent of the Lenten season, I am going to use the 30 minutes of walking to pray.
I did this one time before right after my mom was diagnosed with Cancer. I decided to do a Mile for Mama and for several weeks while she was doing chemo, I walked a mile a day in her honor. While I walked I prayed, not just for my own family and for my own needs but for anyone that came across my mind and anyone that had requested prayer.
It was a good way to focus and I began to look forward to that uninterrupted time everyday when I would walk and pray and arrive back home feeling good about exercising and good about my chat with God.
And so while it may not be the typical Lenten sacrifice it is my promise for these next 40 days leading up to Easter. Hopefully, by then it will be such a part of my everyday life that I will never stop. And the best part is that if I should mess up and not make it to walk one day, I know that I am loved by a God who applauds our commitments but readily forgives us when we fail.
Today I begin my 40 day journey to Easter…..and a healthier body from which to serve.
Blessings!
No comments:
Post a Comment