Saturday, November 5, 2011

and then there were 3 Happy Birthday Ceebs.

  I remember being a little girl and growing up in a time when while the world was changing, being a mother was still what a lot of little girls aspired to be.  That was just the order of the universe for many of us.  You grew up, you fell in love, you had babies, your husband went to work and came home att the end of the day to a meal you had prepared with love all while keeping a clean house and the children safe and happy.  Ahhh for the simple times.

That was still my dream when I married your dad in 1983 Chris.  Though the world had changed and I was working full time too.  The budget was tight, stay at home motherhood was no longer the norm.  I remember the discussion with your dad about when to have a child.  He was much more logical than I and out came the spreadsheets (lol) with the budget and notation of when we might be able to think of having a child and having me stay home with that child.  Emotions and desire won over the budget projections and next thing I knew I was buying a baby crib and maternity clothes and all sorts of fun things in anticipation of your arrival. 

Your dad and I did the usual things, buying the name your baby book even though we knew you would be named William after him and your grandpa Bill whose father was also a William. With 3 sisters, a son would mean the Byers family name would go forth.  (no pressure there for me!)  Since your dad was a big Cardinal fan we joked a lot about naming you Ozzie (after his favorite shotstop Ozzie Smith?) and Juaquin (after his favorite pitcher Juaquin Andohar sp?) .  There was also the fear that I would go into labor during the World Series since my due date was late October. I joked that your dad would have on the tv in the delviery room watching the game!  And then there was the hope that you would come into the world on your dad's birthday November 3 (and I wouldn't have to buy him a brthday present.lol) 

You made your entrance though after the world series and after your poor Grandma Dot had gone home having given up that I would have you while they were there visiting on your original due date.  November 6, 1985 was the day.  And my world has never been the same.

Your dad being the organized, logical man that he is...ok anal....had been logging my contractions and other things (don't ask) for days.  Every time I needed to burp he whipped out the stop watch to time it in case it was a contraction.  I still have the log book if you ever want to see it.  And the stopwatch.
I woke him up early on the morning of November 6.  I had been uncomfortable for most of the night, not able to sleep, restless and having faint contractions.   By9 :00 a.m. I was doubled over with contractions which was something I had never experienced before.  Wowzer...Those things are powerful take you breath away am I gonna live thru this pain moments!. We dressed and called the doctor who told us to come in when they got closer together. 

I remember you dad patiently sitting there with his stopwatch timing my contractions, noting them on his chart and asking how I felt.   I remember thinking "I hate you...you did this to me.... alternating with I am gonna be a mother and we are gonna be a family.  Talk about a roller coaster of emotions. Having a baby certainly make the saying true about a fine line between love and hate.  I'm sure your dad felt the same way when his usual sweet wife turned into a raving lunatic as the pain got worse.

Finally we were at the hospital, Medical City Hospital in Dallas and I was prepared and ready for your arrival. My mom and dad had left Kingfisher and were on their way to Dallas for the arrival of their 3rd grandchild, to join Jesse and Jenna in the family tree.  On the Byers side, your grandma and grandpa were anxiously awaiting the birth of their 2nd grandchild....hopefully a boy...a namesake for your dad and grandpa,

And then you were there.  Nothing on earth can prepare you for the emotion you feel when they lay that baby on your chest for the very first time.  There is no love, truly like a mothers love Chris.  Nothing even close.  My mom and dad arrived shortly after your birth and were able to watch from the nursery window as you had your first bath.  We placed a stuffed bear in your bed in the nursery because there were so many babies that it was hard to find you in the crowd.  

And now here I am 26 years later loving you as much as the first time I laid eyes on you.  I am so very proud of you Chris.   You are a wonderful son, and more importantly a wonderful human being.  You made me a mother, you were a dream come true. ( First Comes Love, then comes marriage, then comes LeeAnn with a baby carriage)   Happy Birthday Willim Christopher Byers  MOM

No comments:

Post a Comment