Happy Birthday Dad! 79 years young. I’ve been waiting all year, since I started my blog to be able to do a birthday blog for you. From the pictures that I found from when you were a very young boy, to the recent picture you gave us on Christmas eve there’s a story behind every one.
I don’t know a lot about your year,s as a little boy. Most of the stories about you start when you were around 15 I think. Stories about you running away and lying about your age to be able to join the Air Force. Stories about when you met mom in Dallas at a nightclub.
My earliest memories are of you coming and going from home. As a traveling salesman, it seemed like you were gone more than you were home. Oh, how I looked forward to you driving up each week. You always had presents for us all. I remember one year you bought me a charm bracelet. I wish I could say I still have it, but its long gone. I have the Bible you gave me when I was about 9 years old. Inside, you wrote to my daughter from dad. The cover on it is pretty worn but it remains one of my prized possessions.
Memories of you making French toast for me; memories of getting to go to work with you on Saturday morning. Not all my memories are good. The drinking days were pretty difficult. But even as a child I loved you more than I can put into words. All that remains in my memories are the good ones. Some I look back on and laugh. Like whenever I went to a new church and the preacher would invariably come to visit to see where I “came from” , you would bring out the beer and offer the preacher one. I would refer to those times as the “antagonize the preacher “ moments. They were pretty numerous as I went to a lot of Churches as a young girl, hitching rides with whatever neighbor would take me. Later, in my 20’s when you became a Christian and stop drinking it was a blessing. And it took a lot of getting used to, seeing you in that different light.
You were funny, entertaining and always generous. I remember you giving me a brand new Candy Apple Red Ford Pinto for my 16th birthday even though money was tight. I remember you giving me $20 bills when I was a teenager and telling me to treat my friends to the movies.
What I admire most is not how you treated me, but how you gave mom anything her heart desired. She need only say I wish I had a…… and it would happen. How many women had a Gospel Barn built behind their house just because they “wanted one”. She was able to travel the world with you. To see places that some only imagine.
Together, you raised 5 children, none of whom have been in jail or arrested or on drugs. You have raised self sufficient, responsible, talented and loving human beings. You have influenced your grandchildren’s life in a positive way, with your generosity and your unconditional love for them. Pepa to the older ones, Papa to the younger ones, you are one of their favorite people. Not one of us have a moment of doubt that would give your life to help us. You are an amazing dad, a wonderful grandpa and a pretty awesome human being.
Frenchy LaFave, (we won’t mention your “given name”), you have lived 79 years and on this birthday I want to say that I look forward to many, many more birthdays for you. Every year on your birthday you are always heard to say well, I’m 78 today, don’t think I’ll make it to 79 or whatever the number is that year. I remember you saying that when you turned 50, when you turned 60 , 70, 75. The thing is dad, God is not through with you on Earth…Maybe that or Heaven just isn’t ready for you! LOL
You deserve a day today filled with memories and happiness and assurance that you are loved. Happy Birthday Daddy….I love you more than words can say.
Click here for a trip down memory lane….when it comes up click on view as slideshow.
http://s1110.photobucket.com/albums/h448/elan58/Frenchy%20LaFave/
No comments:
Post a Comment