A friend of mine has teenage son who is undergoing
chemotherapy. Posted on her facebook
page one day were the words “how do you eat an elephant?” and the answer was “one
bite at a time.” I hadn’t heard that
expression in many years but I knew what she was saying. Sometimes the problem or the task ahead of us
seems insurmountable. But if you give up
and don’t address the issue, you don’t get anywhere. One step at a time, one
day at a time and you eventually will be where you need to be.
When I went on my “health kick” last year and lost weight
and was walking every day, I admit when I started out and the road ahead seemed
like a long one, there were days when I just didn’t think I could take one more
step or count one more calorie. The
problem seemed too big. But slowly but
surely , one step, one mouthful at a time the weight began to come off and my health improved dramatically. I am back on the road to health again having
been “scared straight” in a way by my blood sugar levels of last week. It seems like a long road to start on
again….but one step at a time, one bite of the darn elephant at a time and I
will eventually have swallowed the whole thing.
It’s very tempting to ignore the things that are going on
around you sometimes because you think, well one person or one action isn’t
gonna make that big a difference. But
when you think about it, if everyone thought that way then nothing would ever
get accomplished.
I remember when the boys were in elementary school and I was
the PTO President. Everyone wanted new
playground equipment but there were no funds to purchase new playground
equipment. No one was up for another
fundraiser. Our families and friends had
already done all the buy the worthless
junk fundraisers they could handle. So
we decided to do a simple Pennies for
the Playground campaign. We asked the
kids to collect all their pennies and bring them. I think we called it Penny
Miles for Playground Smiles. The
teachers had fun with it too, using the pennies to demonstrate not only value
but placing them in rows and measuring them as each class tried to complete the
most distance in pennies. Many people
thought we would not make enough to mess with.
But it worked out to be one of the more successful fundraisers. Everyone
had pennies in cups and drawers and pockets.
It was fun to watch the pile of pennies grow each day and before we knew
it we had collected about $800 in pennies.
Gave meaning to the old adage “a penny saved is a penny earned” Maybe a few cents in pennies wasn’t much for
one person but throw a bunch of people’s pennies together and it made a big
difference.
I remember one time I was overwhelmed with school and work
and raising kids and it seemed like every time I got one thing done another
would pop up to take its place. I
literally wanted to get in my car and just drive away from all the obligations
that were piling up. My mom called me
that day and I was telling her all the things I needed to do and I remember her
telling me, “well the sooner you get
started the sooner you’ll finish”…..”all your accomplishing by talking about
how overwhelmed you are is getting yourself even more frenzied.” Hang up and do one thing, mark it off you
list, then do another. “ The reason I
remember it so well was that it was so out of character for my mom to not
listen to me whine and console me with “poor you, you have so much on your
plate, I don’t know how you do it, yadadadad”
Her sensible and frank advise was so out of character. But I did what she said. And I found that she was right. All the time I was spending obsessing over
the mountain of a to do list was much better spent actually tackling the to do
list. And before I knew it I was
graduating from college, my kids were grown and off on their own and I was
wishing for things to fill my time.
As I’m typing this I realize I am humming the tune from Rudolph the Red Nose
Reindeer…the one where the abdominable snowman is learning to walk….put one
foot in front of the other…and soon you’ll be walking ‘cross the flooooor. Put one foot in front of the other, and soon
you’ll be walking out the door.
Mark Twain said “The secret of getting started is
breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one.”
"I'm going to stop putting things off,
starting tomorrow!"
No comments:
Post a Comment