A friend of mine posted the story below on facebook today and I wanted to share it.
I wish you enough
Recently I overheard a mother and daughter in their last moments together at the aripor as the daughters departure was announced. Standing near the security gate, they hugged and the mother said “ I love you and I wish you enough. The daughter replied “mom our life together has been more than enough. Your love is all I ever needed. I wish you enough too mom. They hugged and the daughter left. The mother walked over to the window where I sat. I could see that she wanted and needed to cry.
I tried not to intrude on her privacy but she invited me in by saying “have you ever said goodbye to someone knowing it will be forever?” “Yes, I have. I replied. “Pardon me for asking but why is this a forever goodbye?”. She said “ I’m old and she lives so far away. I have many challenges ahead of me and the reality is the next trip back will be for my funeral.” When you were saying goodbye I heard you say I wish you enough. May I ask what that mean?
She began to smile and told me that it was a wish handed down from generation to generation in her family. My parents use to say it everyone. Then she smiled as the words came back to her. When we said I wish you enough we were wanting the other person to have a life filled with good things to sustain them. Then she recited from memory:
I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright
I wish you enough rain to keep appreciate the sun even more
I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive
I wish you enough pain so that the smallest of joys in life appear much bigger
I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting
I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess
I wish you enough hellos to get you through your final goodbye
She began to cry and walked away. Author unknown
Buying wrapping paper today at the dollar store the clerk said “it seems like a few weeks ago I was putting the Christmas decorations away. I agreed. It seems like the older I get the faster the time flies by. Seems like yesterday that I was taking my kids to sit on Santa’s lap and staying up late to assemble toys on Christmas eve. Hard to believe that in a few weeks my mom will have been gone for 8 years. Seems like yesterday we were planning her funeral and saying goodbye. My dad will be 80 next month! Where does the time go? Its so easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of life and totally forget what’s truly important.
The down time I have had with the loss of my job has forever changed me, my attitude. I found comfort in being busy, busy, busy because I felt like I was living life to the fullest, never a dull moment, get ‘er done, more, more, more. Looking back I think that business compensated for what was missing in my life. As long as I was too tired to think about it, being alone, living alone didn’t seem nearly as lonely. My kids were grown with lives of their own, my brothers and sisters and dad all live farther away and had their own families and lives to live. The things I had acquired over the years didn’t satisfy the need for relationship. They simply put me in debt and forced me to work harder, run faster......keep those balls in the air. Life had become a big juggling act with little fulfillment because the time I had was spent working or being squandered on meaningless things....like watching reality tv, or napping way too much, or buying things I really didn’t need.The yard was a hassle, not a thing to be tended for the joy of being outside and beautifying my surroundings. Cooking was a hated chore because cooking for one was not that fun,
And then I met Joe and found a big part of what was missing in my life. Someone to share it with. And then I lost my job. And I found an alternative way of looking at things. Its not all about the money or the title. Now I have lowered my expectations because I can. I don’t have to have a stress filled job making a maximum amount of money. I just need to work to fulfill my basic needs...not to pay off debts or keep up with the “joneses”. And my house sold. And I found that all that space I thought I had to have, was a waste. And it makes me happy to know a big family is in my house, someone that needs that space and the space I have now is more than enough. It’s cozy and comfortable and feels like home. And I truly grasped the meaning of the phrase “the best things in life are free”. Watching the squirrels steal pumpkins and pancakes from the trash. Riding my bike along the riverpark path and experiencing the satisfaction of knowing I am doing something good for my body and my mind. Raking leaves in the yard with Joe. Making hot chocolate from scratch because I have time to stir the pot on the stove and not just zap instant powder in the microwave. Taking long walks with Quincy and chatting with people along the way. Looking forward to the mail each day because it has coupons and junk and not bills and bills and more bills. Having time to spend time with family.
And though I still have worries and not every day is idyllic most of the time I am overwhelmed when I think of all the blessings I have and have had in my lifetime. I simply have more than enough
No comments:
Post a Comment