So my big toe is super sore and I was convinced that it was
an ingrown toenail and so I went to the podiatrist. Amazing how sometimes the smallest thing can
cause the worst of pain. Like a
papercut. Or a sore toe that makes your
whole body ache from the effort it takes not to use it as much.
I have to admit that I don’t have much faith in
podiatrist. The 2 prior experiences I
have had with them have not been that great and left me thinking that I could
do better on my own than with their medical “expertise”.
Case in point. Many years ago, 12 at least, I went to a podiatrist because I was having such pain in my foot that I could barely walk. After looking at it, he decided that I had inflamed joints in my foot cause by “whatever” and began me on a series of weekly shots that even with insurance were super expensive since I had to pay a co-pay each visit and 20% of the shot with the insurance I had. Now this was during a time of stress for me that was off the chart. I was in the midst of a divorce I didn’t want, had just started a new job,etc. I was so heartbroken, stressed out, angry, you name it that I didn’t really even notice that my foot was hurting until one day I just woke up and the pain was intense.The shots would work for a day or two and then the pain would be back and I’d limp until the next apt. At some point, the podiatrist told me that since my pain was getting any better, he thought that maybe I needed surgery on my foot. What kind I don’t know. I just know that all I could think of was the cost of it. About that time, I stepped in a hole in the back yard and sprained my ankle. Off I went to the bone and joint doctor to have it checked out. After taking an ex-ray he asked me “how long ago did you break your foot? WHAT? All those shots, the talk of surgery, etc and my foot HURT because it was broken. It had healed to some extent, so much that a cast at that point would not do any good. I returned ex-ray in hand to the Podiatrist the next week and asked that he refund my money for all those unnecessary shots. If he had done a simple xray it would have saved months of pain and lots of money. He said that I should have known my foot was broken. Maybe so. But you think he would’ve noticed it on the xray he took on the first visit. Live and learn. Now as to how I broke my foot? Well that’s a story for another time…lets just say that when you have your foot under someone’s tire so that they won’t drive off while you are still trying to talk to them, and they tell you “move your foot or I’ll run over it”, Move your foot!
My 2nd Podiatrist experience was not quite as bad
insofar as the visit but the cost was atronomical by the time I was done. What is it about feet that make them so
“pricey” to deal with. After my very first
pedicure, which I reluctantly agreed to because frankly I don’t like my feet
and I really don’t like having someone else mess with them, I got a toenail
fungus. I’m sure that the fungus was
from that because it was the first time in my life I had had a pedicure and the
first time in my life I had had a fungus.
After trying various over the counter things, and all the home remedy
tips…soak your feet in Listerine, put vicks vapor rub on your toenails before
bed, soak your feet in vinegar and lemon juice among others, I gave up and made
an appointment. What it is in that
little bottle of medicine that makes it worth $300 I don’t know. It required lab before the prescription to
check liver function which made me a little leary. How strong is this stuff I wondered? And so after the lab co-pay, and the med
co-pay, and the monthly visits to check the progress to the podiatrist for the
3 months it took to clear, it turned out to be a pretty costly pedicure.
The last time I had an ingrown toenail was in 1987. I remember because I was pregnant with Andy
at the time and the doctor wouldn’t give me anything to numb the pain before he
cut it out because of that…though thinking back I’m questioning that
logic..Surely a little med in the toe wouldn’t have caused any damage to the
baby. Though the pain was excruciating
(only slightly less painful than natural childbirth), it was a quick procedure
and I have not had an ingrown toenail since.
I think that maybe those few minutes of pain were worth the 25 years of
a pain free toe. And since it wasn’t a
podiatrist but a regular doctor that did it, it didn’t cost as much.
So off I go on Tuesday, for what I’m sure will be a repeat
of the pain I felt in 1987 only on the other big toe, and hopefully with some
numbing agent injected before the knife this time.
Now, granted I should have asked for a recommendation for a
podiatrist instead of choosing the closest and most convenient one so I
wouldn’t have to miss any work. Had I
thought to ask around beforehand I would have known, from co-workers who had
made the same, well he’s close choice” that it would be a mistake.
30 minutes after entering the office I was back in my car
feeling like I had just been in an infomercial for specialty shoes. The doctor mashed on my sore toe which cause
me to cry out in pain…then pronounced that it was not an ingrown toenail but a
sore toe from wearing “cheap tennis shoes” when I walk. He went into a lecture about shoes and
fashion and price which culminated with him handing me a list of shoes that
were the ONLY ones I should be wearing, especially since I’m diabetic. I looked at the list, pointed to the New
Balance shoe that I wear, watched the wheels turn in his head to see how he
could get out from under that one.
He immediately said that sometimes it’s not the shoe but
instead the padding inside. This started
another lecture about how worthless the Dr. Scholl, and any other over the
counter pads were. According to him, the
only way to get rid of the pain would be to get a cast of my foot made, have a
custom made insole made from that cast at a cost of $350. Little did he know I
had fallen victim to that line of reasoning from the last podiatrist and had
forked over some hard earned money for a cast and insoles that are currently in
my “crappy shoes” (which aren’t crappy at all.) and pretty much worthless in my
opinion. I have had better luck with the cheap gel things. SO I
told him that I had already done that and that it obviously didn’t help that
much. He then said that perhaps it was
because they were old insoles and my foot had changed. I lied and told him they were less than a
year old after he said that the life of those is about 5 years.
Now I had successfully shot down his kickback on the shoes
(did I mention that he told me the shoes on the list that he gave me were only
available at a certain store in town that a friend of his owned?) and refused the casting procedure and
that didn’t leave him with much. I was
waiting for him to suggest toe surgery LOL when he decided to switch tracks and
concentrate on the diabetic aspect of my feet.
Out came a drawer with multiple products that he recommends for people
that are diabetics from blood flow stimulating socks to compression shin
guards. Add to that a special cream made
just for diabetic feet, a nail file that was supposedly for diabetics that
looked no different than the file I got a the dollar store, to this little ball
thing you massage your feet with while watching tv. I didn’t bite. Told him that I had not problems with my feet
at this point, that my doctor had told me 2 weeks ago that my feet were in
excellent shape, especially for someone with diabetes. Strong pulses, no swelling, etc. He then told me that I had something that he
liked to call “diabetic brain rot syndrome”.
Then he laughed and explained
that he had coined that phrase for people like me who had diabetes but were in
denial about the importance of foot care.
Actually, I said, I am very proactive about my
diabetes, I’m here aren’t I? Now, can
you tell me what’s wrong with my toe or do
you have more products to sell?
That shut him up. I felt bad
about being rude but I was close to walking out by that point.
Finally, he got down to business. No more recommendations for shoe stores and
diabetic products that his friends and family owned businesses for. He pulled
out a wooden foot and proceeded to show me how all the bones and joints work
together. It felt a little like he was
practicing for Career Day at the Elementary school but I suffered through the demo,
even asking couple of questions and saying “I see” a couple of times. At the conclusion he pronounced that the
reason my toe was sore and throbbing was because of the pressure put on my nail
during my walks and the ensuing nerve inflammation around my toe. He said the best thing to do was to use a
prescription balm that he would write a script for me for and some “oil” that
he sold on site. I asked about the oil, to find that it was super expensive. When I balked at buying it, he said “fine,
you can just use olive oil, it’s the same thing really. Apparently, olive oil is good for softening
AND inflammation. That might be the only
valuable piece of info I got in the the 30 minute visit.
I then asked about the medicine he was going to
prescribe. Turns out it is a special
compounded prescription that I would have to get from a “specialty pharmacy”. When I inquired about the cost of this
knowing from my hospice experience that compounded meds are usually pretty
expensive he replied, well less expensive than amputation. Your choice.
What a jerk!
I told him he could fax it in but they needed to call me
first with the cost because my insurance has a $500 deductible on meds and I
haven’t met it. And that I would take my chances with an over the counter med
with similar ingredients if I had to. He
said they would call before they made it to let me know. I left the office wondering if this “jerk”
had any repeat customers. He was
undoubtedly one of the most rude and arrogant drs I have ever come across, 2nd
only to the dermatologist in Muskogee I went to for a mole.
When the pharmacy called to tell me that my prescription was
ready to pick up (not how much the medicine was gonna cost as I had requested)
and I asked how much they told me that my insurance co-pay would be $365. I told them that I would not be picking the
med up, that I had told the foot doctor that I would need to know the cost in
advance, . And that I would rather have
a sore toe than spend that kind of money on a toe treatment. She put me on hold, came back on the line and
said, “the pharmacist said you can have it for $60. Now, part of me was thinking YES!, a little
pricey but I’ve seen worse (diabetic meds are not cheap)….and the other part of
me was livid that had I said ok, fine an insurance company would be being
billed for a lot of money for a $60 medication.
This is what is wrong with our health system in a nutshell! Next time
you get a premium hike in your medical insurance premium, chalk it up to the
racket that is known as pharmaceutical companies and their co-horts.
And though $60 was a “bargain” by bedtime I had decided to
forego the fancy medication and just
treat my toe with Cortaid and other otc creams with close to the same
ingredients. That is until I got up in
the middle of the night and stubbed my sore toe. By this morning it was throbbing. You could take my pulse in that toe. The one
ingredient that the over the counter meds don’t have that the prescription does
(according to my expert nurse co-workers) is a drug that numbs the pain that
diabetics can have in their feet. SO on
my lunch hour, I drove to the pharmacy and picked up the medication. I rubbed it on my toe and got immediate
relief. I think in this case, it might
be worth it. I’m wondering if it works on other body parts like knees and
calves and shins.
My piggies are happy again.
Since my big toe is numb and not hurting, I am using it again and the 4
side kicks are back to doing their usual work load. When my mom used to get frustrated she would
say Well, Foot. I thought about her today and yesterday. Her feet would hurt so bad sometimes with her
diabetes that she would be in tears.
Thankfully, I have not suffered that degree of damage to my feet from
diabetes. I plan to avoid Diabetic Brain
Rot (how rude!) and face the facts, knowing that denial is not going to do me
any good in the long run.
I just glanced at the list of APPROVED casual shoes that the
Podiatrist gave me. I hadn’t heard of
any of the brands. I googled a few. For 199.99 I can get a clearance pair of
Wolfy sandals that are uglier than dirt. Think I’ll have to forego that advice
for a while. Frankly, this little piggy
says HOGWASH!
No comments:
Post a Comment