Thursday, June 9, 2016

One Special Dog

Checking some papers today from Pablo’s adoption in January and realized that the little guy is going to be a year old on Saturday.  Happy Birthday Pablo! 
I can truly say this dog is better than Prozac.  After losing my Yorkie Quincy last May I had pretty much decided that the next dog we had would be when we are on our own land, retired in Colorado somewhere and then it was going to be Golden Retrievers for me and Wolfhounds for Joe. 
What I didn’t count on is that as my heart healed from the loss of Quincy, I began to long for another dog to keep me company when Joe was at work and to keep me active.  When it comes to exercise, I find it hard to motivate myself.   I knew that if I had a dog I would have to at least walk around the block a few times a day.  So that was good motivation.
Joe was pretty ambivalent about getting a dog.  So he left it up to me.  I thought about it for a long time.  I got online and searched dog rescue sites.  I batted around the idea of a Golden Retriever but since we live in our RV, a big dog that sheds was pretty impractical.  So I started looking for another Yorkie and in the process came across a picture of the cutest little black dog named Poblano who I renamed Pablo because it was much easier to say.  The site said he was a Terrier mix though now Joe calls him a terror mix.  Pretty accurate but in a good way. 

There is never a dull moment with this dog.  He was calm for a couple of days after we brought him home but once he realized that here he would have unconditional love and that his new “mom” was a pushover, he let his true personality shine. 
A lady at the dog park remarked that Pablo is like the Will Rogers of dogdom.  Never met a dog he didn’t like.  At the park he is an instigator, an encourager, a peacemaker and mostly comic relief.  He delights in mud puddles and actively encourages the other dogs to join in.  If they don’t he makes sure to bring the mud to them.  One prissy white dog found out the hard way.  When she refused to join in the mud, Pablo put paw prints on her anyway.    He actively empties every water bucket by getting in it and splashing out the water.  Any holes that are at Biscuit Acres he for sure has had a hand in…well a paw in.  His favorite thing is to run the fence between the big and small park with the big dogs.  Particularly 2 big labradoodles that spend their entire park time running with him.  He makes sure to run far enough that they have to go through the mud hole on their side of the fence.  I call it “running with the Doodles.”  All I have to say on the way to the park is “are you going to run with the doodles? “  and he perks up and knows exactly what I’m saying.  He has gotten to know all the “regulars” at the park and their personalities.  He is gentle with the puppies and the older dogs as he encourages them to play….and super wild with some of the dogs he has come to know.  Gracie, Chloe, Bouton, Layla, Prince, Sammie and SuSu, Boomer and Carlos are among his friends.
But none compare to the special friendship he has formed with a little Jack Russell mix named Tucker.  He and Tucker are BFF’s.  When we arrive on a day and he spots Tucker his tail wags a little faster and his energy level amps up off the chart.  They wrestle and run, wrestle and run, dip their faces in the water, and grab each other’s collars and spin each other around on the pavement. Spin a roos.   If you didn’t know better you would think they were going to hurt each other as they play so rough.  When they finally tire out, they lay side by side on the grass until one or the other decides it’s time to go again.
Pablo is well know at the park now.  As we approach I hear “oh good, here comes Pablo” , now the dogs will play.  It’s impossible not to when he’s in the mix.  He is the life of the party and makes your heart smile.
Suffice it to say that this little dog is the light of my life.  Maybe I should have kept his name Poblano as he is definitely a “kick”.  He adds spice to the life of everyone he meets. 
When I take him to the Memory Care facility where my dad lives, we become the Pied Piper.  All the little old ladies follow us from place to place to pet him.  One lady who doesn’t speak, lights up and giggles when he is there.  My dad thinks he’s funny and feeds him pretzels.  One lady pulls his tail ad he understands that she doesn’t know better and doesn’t seem to mind.  He will gently kiss the hand of anyone who pets  him and while we are there any hyper-ness is put on hold…It’s as if he knows that he has to be super calm and gentle so as to not scare the residents.  One day my dad got a little aggravated at the line of people crowding us to pet Pablo and said very forcefully “MOVE ALONG, I’m with my People”.  That will stay in my memory forever.  Makes me smile every time I think of it.  Last week we visited dad in his room and he entertained us by taking the tennis ball off of dad’s walker and bringing it to us to throw.
He is smart and funny, lovable and loyal and has been a true lifesaver to me.  After living with my dad for several months and watching his decline and ultimately having to make the difficult decision to move out, I found myself falling into a depression.  Joy seemed to be a thing of the past.  No one could reach me in that place I found myself.  Until I got Pablo.  He has brought me back to life.  He has provided comic relief and that special dog thing of being able to just sit quietly by my side when I’m feeling down.  Emotionally, he has been the lift I needed to get out of the rut and back into life.  He is an enthusiastic walker and so he has got me physically active again.  There is no walking him a couple times a day.  He is raring to go 24/7. 
As for the terror part, well the chewed up carpet and the constant clutter of toys, having to put everything made of paper out of reach because he is obsessed with shredding anything paper, not being able to go pee without him scratching on the door to be let in the bathroom, dog eyes staring at me when I try to eat in peace, barking in the middle of the night for no reason at all, pooping on my seat if I dared leave him in the car when it was cool outside while I ran in a store, several chewed up phone cords and a chunk of my Cpap mask gone, well the list goes on.
Joe loves him as much as I do and loves to tease him.  When Joe is here, Pablo is next to him.  After working all night, Joe can count on Pablo to greet him as he comes in the door early in the morning.  Because he thinks that we exist only to play with him, I have to take him out to the park every day so Joe can sleep.  One day I went to the store thinking Pablo would leave Joe alone as he slept.  I returned to mind Joe burrowed under the covers with Pablo laying on top of him like he was king of the mountain and at least 10 toys lining Joe’s side.  Joe said he was treated to the sound of every squeaky toy Pablo could find along with tennis balls being dropped on his head the whole time I  was gone.  LOL
And now, a short 5 months later, I cannot imagine my life without this little ray of sunshine in it.  He will soon go from Tulsa Terrier to Denver Dog as Joe likes to call him.  I am sure he will have a difficult time adjusting when I go back to work full time.   I think I will have the most difficult time adjusting.  But knowing he will be waiting at the door to greet me when I get home will make it ok. 

Pablo has become a part of our family.  Joe and I are looking forward to the next chapter of our life together.  Our dream of living in Colorado is about to come true.   We are excited and happier than we have ever been.  Counting down the days until we are there.  New jobs, new adventures, new friends await us.  Me and you and a dog named….Pablo….Life is good!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment