Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Confident Cookie

Run Run As Fast as you can, You can’t catch me I’m the gingerbread man.
That was one confident cookie!  Every person or animal he met, he bragged  to about how he had beat out the last one who challenged him.  Well, until he got outfoxed by the fox. I think the Gingerbread man had read one too many self help books about self confidence. He seemed to be a little too confident. Where is the fine line between being self confident, self assured and being downright obnoxious about your abilities? 
I think that it’s about keeping it in perspective.  All of us like to be recognized.  It is very rewarding for example to come off the stage after performing and have people come up and tell me how funny I am.  The key is to accept the compliment with grace but not to let it go to my head. I don’t think that will ever happen with me.  I have a lot of issues with low self esteem.  Even when people tell me I’m talented, at writing or comedy or whatever I tend to think “seriously?” I always think well if I can do it then it must not be that hard to do.  

I would be lying if I said it wasn’t exciting to be on a stage with a microphone in hand and here the applause and the laughter.   But at the same time, I don’t think I’m doing it for the recognition but rather because it fulfills me to make people laugh.  It is rewarding to be able to bring a smile to someone’s face.  Whether that be through something I say or something I write. Whether it is an audience of one or one hundred. 

I have watched my brother Jimmy perform many times.  He is very talented!  Yet he has remained humble.  He doesn’t brag about his cd’s or brag about is “celebrity” friendships. He always seems a little embarrassed by the attention he gets. I think if you were to ask him he would tell you he performs because he loves to sing, to make music. He is grateful that he has been able to make a living doing something he loves. 

Humility means that you are not full of pride, not arrogant.  To be successful and humble is probably a very difficult thing to do.  Think of the sports stars, the movie stars, politicians that reach the pinnacle of success only to fall flat on their face.  At some point, many of them have let their popularity, their success go to their head and they think themselves invincible. 

Luke 14:11 says He who exalts himself will be humbled and he who is humble will be exalted.  I like the Message bible version which says” If you walk around with your nose in the air you will end up flat on your face. But if you are content simply to be yourself, you will become more than yourself.”

Self confidence comes from knowing that you are doing your best. That you are living your life, using your talents and gifts and being the best you can be.  Pride happens when you compare yourself with other people.  There is nothing wrong with being the best at something.  There is nothing wrong with being proud of your accomplishments.  Where it crosses the line is when you feel like you are better than someone else because of it.

Chances are I will fall flat on my face many times in my lifetime. I seem to have a knack for tripping over “air” and falling down.  I pray though that I never fall flat on my face because I have my nose in the air.   That I never become prideful or boastful or arrogant or self promoting.

And while there is always room for improvement, I can  honestly say I am content simply to be myself.  There is no one else I’d rather be.

No comments:

Post a Comment