I have heard this expression used several times over the past few days in various locations and by various people. So I decided to find out exactly what that expression means and where it comes from because frankly I’m not sure I want my ducks to be in a row. That sounds pretty boring to me.
I found several theories of how this term came about. From it resulting from early day bowling pins being called ducks and having to be lined up by hand before the automated machines to the carnival game where the ducks are in a row on a conveyer belt, evenly spaced to be shot at to the natural instinct of ducks to form a row or even a v shape.
Regardless, the modern day term means to have all the small details in place before embarking on a project or a journey.
I have a thing on my desk that says “creative minds are rarely tidy”. My boss, who tends to be a little anal when it comes to details and tidiness, keeps hiding this from me because it drives her crazy. She will readily admit that I am a super Business Manager, but our styles are about as opposite as it comes. If I am out for the day, and she sits at my desk, I can count on coming back to my drawers neatly organized the way she would like them. But within a couple days, the chaos in my drawers is back. I don’t care if all my highlighters are in the same tray and I have paperclips scattered in a dozen places. Once when I was out for 4 days on vacation, I came back to find all my folders color coordinated and organized alphabetically. I couldn’t stand it. I burst into tears. It was way too neat for me. I tried to keep them that way but it didn’t last. I simply don’t like predictability.
While she always seems to have her ducks in a row, mine are always a little out of sync. Creative minds rarely have their ducks in a row. We tend to fly by the seat of our pants. I don’t like having all the details planned out whether it be for my day, or a trip or even life. I’ve often said that “I thrive on chaos” and that is very true of me.
Throw me a few curves in the course of a day and you will discover that I am energized. I like challenges. I like not knowing what the next hour will bring.
I wasn’t always like this. I think that over the course of my life, when everything I planned to do or have happen got changed that I learned to embrace the chaos of life. I am a roll with the punches type of girl. I like plans, but only if they are loosely formatted. I don’t want to know for example on a vacation exactly what I will be doing at any given hour of the day. I don’t really even want to make reservations on where to stay because that locks me in and what if I see something interesting along the way and want to stop sooner. Or what if I want to go further that day and can’t because my plans are set to stay in a certain place.
That being said, I tend to be drawn to relationships where the other person has their ducks in a row. I think too that these super orderly people are drawn to the energetic, fun chaos I tend to bring to the table. How boring would 2 ducks in a row people be; or how chaotic a life it would be with two fly by the seat of their pants people.
And the reality of it is, behind what looks like ducks out of formation in my life, my life is very organized. I am rarely late, never miss appointments, always find time for friends and if you give me a project you can count on it being done and being done correctly. To watch me complete things might drive you crazy…and don’t ask me for something and expect it me to find it in a logical place but I will be able to tell you exactly where it is.
My sons will tell that there was never a dull moment with me as a mom when they were kids. My mother once told a man I was dating that he needed to hang on for a wild ride if he was going to be in my life…that I’m a handful. I guess maybe I am. But in a good way.
Life is an ever changing, ever challenging adventure. Who cares if my ducks don’t want to be in a row?
No comments:
Post a Comment