Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Never Forget 4-19-1995

Today marks the 16 year anniversary of the Oklahoma City bombing.  Most of us can remember where we were and what we were doing that day.   I was working out of my home at the time.  I remember hearing it on the news and watching in horror as the events unfolded.  I called my parents right away because I knew that my brother’s office was in Oklahoma City but I wasn’t sure where.  Once I knew that my family in the Oklahoma City area was safe my next instinct was to want to see my children.  They were at school.  I was the Parent Teacher Organization President at the time and so I could readily go in and out of the school without much problem.  So I went to the school and peeked into the classrooms and saw my children at their desk and was comforted knowing that they were where they were supposed to be.  
As the events unfolded that day my heart particularly went out to the mother of the 2 little red headed boys.  I thought I would never forget her name;  but I have.  The boys were about the same gap in age as my boys and though mine were much older now, I kept envisioning them at that age and thinking how frantic I would be not knowing where they were or if they were alive or dead.  Her story, more than any other touched me and broke my heart. 
To put yourself in the place of those loved ones who told their spouse, their parent, their children, their brother and sister goodbye that day, an ordinary day not knowing what devastation was about to be visited on them, on their lives.
The Oklahoma City Memorial is a beautiful place now; a touching tribute to those who lost their lives. The reflection pool, the chairs, the clock frozen in place, the tree that withstood the bomb are all reminders of that day.  If you have never visited it you should.
I came across the the newspaper clippings, a book about the bombing, the Time magazine, the People magazine with April 19th 2005 and the bombing on the cover as I was going through my boxes the other day. I sat for a moment and reflected about that day, those people and wondered how those who survived got on with their lives.  Talk about pushing through something…I cannot imagine.
You never know when your last moment on this Earth is going to be and so you need to make every minute count.  Live a life without regret.  Say you are sorry when you are wrong and ask forgiveness.  Tell the people you love that you love them.  You never know when that chance may be forever lost.
I wrote a poem about the bombing that day.  It’s a simple poem. I’m not a poet.  I also wrote a song about that day and if my son finds the video of it I will post it too.  And so today on this day 11 years after a tragedy that changed our world, my thoughts and prayers are with those who suffer.  May their loved ones never be forgotten. 
The Bombing  written 4-21-95
A pain too deep to comprehend, Hearts that will not ever mend
Idle toys, and shattered dreams, and in my mind their silent screams
A mother’s tears stream down her face , for little boys she can’t embrace
A tiny child fights for her life, a husband mourns his missing wife
A family waits, a family grieves  as searchers search so frantically
For one more breath beneath the stone, for one more cry, for one more moan
The bomb not only ripped apart a building, it ripped many hearts
It pains us all and makes us cry and most of all we wonder why?
The answer may not ever be know, how could this happen here at home
What reason made a person vent his anger on the innocent
As we all try to carry on the best we can, we must be strong
We won’t forget that awful day, for Oklahoma’s  not OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment