Saturday, April 30, 2011

You say Tomato, I say TomAUTO

 Roughly 1123 words later the great Class of 76 facebook debate, started when someone posted “whats with those tornadoes down south?” is winding down.  It has truly been fascinating to read the posts from the scientific viewpoint and the non-secular viewpoint.   For those brave souls who bravely stuck a sentence into the posts (Mike, Deb, and Cindy) only to get swallowed up by the main debaters, hats off to you as well.  I wouldn’t have dared gotten in to that mix. LOL
Not because I don’t have an opinion, because I do…just didn’t feel qualified to enter into that discussion.  For one, science is not my forte!  I blame it on Mr. Martin who paired me with a really good looking guy as a lab partner when I was in 10th grade Biology.  I learned absolutely nothing that semester except what my name would look like as Mrs. ___   ___ (you know who you are ;) which I spent the semester doodling in my spiral notebook.  My kids still tease me about my scientific deficiency.   When playing Trivial Pursuit they cheered when I landed on a science question because they knew I would not get another turn or a pie slice.  Once the question was how many degrees is the sun?  When I answered 350 my son Andy laughed until he choked on his root beer before saying, Mom, that’s your oven!  Or when the question was which planet is farthest from the Earth and I said “the sun”.  Ok, so it’s a big fat star….how did I know that.  I never had to make a Styrofoam ball planet model growing up.!!!!
Religion also not my forte.  I once taught the lesson of David and Basheeba using an analogy involving a chocolate long john  and a person on a diet. (Which btw is all the more reason to be worried people who attend First Methodist Church in Muskogee that I am going to fill in for Rusty when he goes on vacation.)
There are just some things that you could debate until the end of time, which in itself is a debate as to when that’s gonna happen and how…..and never win over the other side.  For example:
Try to convince someone that orders their steak extra well done that it tastes better rare.  Not gonna happen.
Try to convince someone that grew up in Stillwater that its ok to root for OU guilt free…Not gonna happen. 
Or that Pepsi tastes better than Coke.
Or that being neat and organized (Lynelle and Brad) is preferable to being creatively chaotic. (that would be me)
Or that pit bulls aren’t mean.  (sorry they scare me) Or that Fords are better than Chevys. (I don’t care, as long as it runs)  Or that yellow is a nicer color than blue.(yellow is my favorite, sorry)  Or that snakes are good pets (you are insane.) Or that red wine is better than white (most definitely)
Or that Natural Childbirth is better than having an epidural.  That one I REALLY WISH someone had tried a little harder to convince me that drugs are good. LOL
Or a teenager that an 11 p.m. curfew is reasonable.  Or a 5 year old that the immunization they are about to receive won’t hurt a bit.  Or a recent divorcee that there will come a time when they are able to actually be friends with their ex. 
I once debated a friend who said my son’s baptism didn’t count because they were sprinkled and not "dunked: until I immersed her in the face with the drink I threw in it because she made me so mad.  She was lucky because we were sitting by a pool at the time and had I been a tad madder I would have fully immersed her.
I once debated my mom about the importance of car seats.  Her generation apparently didn’t use car seats and their babies made it through just fine.  I had to threaten to not let my children ride with her to get her to agree to use them. She however, would not wear her seatbelt.  My dad still doesn’t. 
My point, if I have one and sometimes that is debatable is that people are always gonna have their own views, their own preferences, their own agendas, their own reasons .  Some of it’s from the way they were raised, some of its from their education, and some I think is simply genetic.  And gender based.
Not saying we shouldn’t discuss and debate.  Sometimes, hearing the other point of view, even if you disagree gives you an even stronger opinion about something.  And sometimes, you may actually convince someone that there is some validity in some of the things they are saying. 
My35th class reunion is in September and I can hardly wait. I am going to perform my stand up comedy and several classmates have also agreed to participate in our Talent show , singing (Cindy and Kenny and hopefully Cheryl), pole dancing (Becky), violin playing (Mike).  I am going to suggest that we have a debate as well because all kidding aside, that is a talent.  Lori and Bob , Stan (we’ll have to skype you in) and Randy….you guys are excellent viewpoint expressers.  I am impressed.  Really!  With your knowledge.    And I want to follow your act with my comedy act because I think my opinion on cyber sex, nipple bb’s, smart ass cars and online dating will release any tension between the two sides when ultimately you agree to disagree.   (we may even have some reunion crashers if word gets out)
I certainly hope the elder from our Church who was offended because I said the word Breast  during my performance at a fundraiser at church doesn’t read my blog.  The use of the word nipple might get me censored and kicked out!    That’s a whole other debate…is the word breast when used in a non sexual context during a comedy performance really offensive. I say no! 

No comments:

Post a Comment