Monday, July 4, 2011

Viva America

Seems like sometime the only meaning that is attached to an upcoming holiday for me is that its a 3 day weekend. I forget to stop and think about what the holiday is all about. 4th of July means fireworks, and parades, and speeches, and family gatherings for most. America's Independence Day.

Juliet arrived to America on a fiancee visa on June 7, 2007. So the 4th of July was her first "American Holiday". She knew that it was the day that America celebrated their independence. It was quite different from what they do in Mexico on Mexican Independence day which September 15 (not cinco de mayo..lol which she says is something the American's made up as an excuse to drink). In Mexico, each city has a Governor, each State has a President and then in Mexico City is the palace of the county's President. We would have mayors of the city (instead of governor) and Governors of the state (instead of presidents). The biggest difference is that these governor and presidents all have palaces. So there is a "mansion" in each city where these designated leaders live. And once a year, on September 15th, those residences are open to the citizens and everyone goes there to gather for a celebration. Mexican food, vendors with their wares, music and dancing. And at midnight, across Mexico, the governor, president and main President come out of their residence at midnight to give a speech after which everyone shouts Viva Mexico.

The main difference she noted then was that in Mexico, the citizens all come together to celebrate where as in America it is more family celebrations, individual gatherings with food and fun. Of course there are the city wide celebrations, and the Church down the street from me has a big 4th of July party with fireworks that rival any big city's show.

Over the years most of my 4th of July celebrations have been so "ordinary" that they sort of meld together. A few stand out. My favorite 4th of July was spent  at Fisherman's Wharf. Overlooking San Francisco Bay, the bay bridge visible, the fireworks being shot from Alcatraz Island, the throngs of people everywhere (and in San Francisco there were so odd ones in the crowd)...the music was synchronized with the fireworks. Patriotic music through out with the crowd singing along. It was a surreal experience. I have never felt such pride to be an American, to be free as that day on the San Francisco Bay.

Another year was in Angel Fire, New Mexico watching the reflection of the fireworks in the lake there, surrounded by mountains and though the crowds were few in number, the patriotic spirit was there.

There were 4th of July's spent in the Kingfisher City park. What I remember most about those were sitting on a blanket and dodging the debris as it fell to the ground. You think they'd learn to back it up a little. But that was part of the fun.

My parent's anniversary was the 4th of July. I always thought that was funny. To get married on Independence day. Kinda of an oxymoron of sorts. married/independent
We had a cookout and my nephew Jesse, who was about 6 at the time wanted desperately to light a firecracker. He was the oldest grandchild. So his dad, Garry let him light one with his assistance. I remember Jesse lighting the firecracker then running as fast as he could back to the picnic table, a look of accomplishment on his face. The firework popped and Jesse looked to Pepa to see if he had noticed. My dad, without a 2nd thought, acted like he was talking to Jesse, just mouthing the words. Jesse, who thought he had gone deaf, began to cry. It was funny...and then again it wasn't when you saw Jesse's face. I think he probably remembers that.

The most fun 4th of July's were the ones when I was a teenager in Stillwater, before pop bottle rockets were illegal. We would have massive pop bottle rocket wars from our back patio with the neighbors across the field, Artie and Billy Anderson. How we kept from getting hurt I don't know. My brothers would also light black cat firecrackers and throw them at each other, and me. Doesn't sound fun now, but it was always great time at the LaFave back yard during those years. One year my dad stepped onto the wooden door of the storm cellar which was on the patio and the wood gave way because it was rotted and he fell into the cellar. He wasn't hurt thank God. That was the hardest I'd laughed in a long time once I knew he was ok. That would have been on Funniest Home Video for sure had we been filming. Another year, Jimmy threw a firecracker at me as I ran toward my dad for protection and it went into my dads boot. You have never seen someone remove a boot so fast in your life.

Amidst the fun and memories though I want to pause and remember those that have given their lives so that we can be independent. I cannot imagine living in a country where I did not have the freedoms we do in America. That right has been paid for with lives. And so today as I get ready to drag out the lawn chair to sit in my front yard, sip a margarita and watch the fireworks at the end of my block, I want to say thank you. To all the soldiers, to all the families of soldiers for the sacrifices you have made so that I can be free.

Its so much more than a 3 day weekend. Its a privilege to live here in the USA.
Viva America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment