Thursday, August 4, 2011

Juan derful Memories

My dad called me the other day because he was having trouble printing off one of my “BOGS”.  No matter how many times I tell him it’s a blog, he still calls it a bog.  Through the years we have made fun of him often (good naturedly of course) for his mispronunciations.    Another example is an asterick.  He refers to them as aztecs as in put an aztec next to that part number.   He is also pretty good at getting names mixed up.  It’s funny and part of his uniqueness.  My daughter in law Juliet is from Mexico and after 4 years I have finally given up on trying to get him to say that she speaks Spanish,not Mexican. 
My dad has seemingly passed this “gift” down to his grandsons. 
Years ago I was at a gas station and my son Andy  who was around 7 at the time was in the car singing Little Deuce Coupe in a loud voice.  Only he was singing little Douche Coupe.  Andy, I said, its deuce, not douche.  Not its not mom he said.  Ok, I said.  But don’t say I didn’t tell you.  A few  days later he came home red faced because apparently someone else had explained to him that the it was Deuce, as in 2, not douche as in feminine hygiene product.
Another time he got bitten by a tic and got very ill.  We took him to the doctor right away and he tested positive for lyme disease which we caught very early and treated very promptly.  When he did go back to school the teacher called me to tell me how funny he was.  He was apparently referring to his “illness” as key lime disease.  I explained to him that key lime was a pie flavor and lyme disease was a tic borne illness.   And had a good laugh about it.
My son Chris for years thought he was allergic to moles.  We had him tested for allergies at some point in time when he was young and he overheard the doctor tell us he was allergic to mold.  Years later, it was funny, albeit embarrassing for him to be questioned by a friend about being allergic to the furry brown animal and calling me for verification only to be told, No Chris,not moles, mold.
When Chris was about 3 he was going to a pre-school.  At the time his dad traveled a lot to some very interesting places as a Tower Inspector. He climbed and inspected towers. One particular trip he was in Bottswana,Africa.  There was a lot of political unrest in the country and I was very nervous about Mike being there. Chris overheard me on the phone to my mom one night telling her that Mike said the guerilla forces were within miles of the compound in which he was staying.  The next day when I picked him up at pre-school the teacher asked if we had had a good time at the zoo.  We didn’t go to the zoo I said.  What makes you think that?  Well, she said Chris said the gorillas were after his dad.
One time my mom was telling me about these people that were new to their church that she and my dad had gone to dinner with and really liked.  She could remember their first names but not their last name.  She kept saying, let me think..its on the tip of my tongue,its something really  familiar.  After about 5 minutes she called out to my dad..”Frenchy, what’s the last name of that couple we went to dinner with on Sunday”.  I about fell over laughing when he said “Byers.”……ok Mom, that’s MY LAST NAME!    She was unique in her own way.   She worked for my dad at his Trencher business until she died.  How they kept from strangling each other I don’t know.  One day I went to the office and they were in a heated “argument”.   My dad had a client called Ballentine Bulldogs. He had been looking for  the file and found it in the D’s.  He was ranting and raving about her filing the file in the D’s.  She looked at him Dead serious and said “ D for  Dog, Frenchy!  He thru his hands up and she started working again as if that made all the sense in the world. 
I always smile when someone says onst or twyst instead of once or twice.   Warsh instead of wash.  And for some reason when my mom said the word black it always came out Blike.  The blike people who were coming to sing at her barn..the blike cat that was in the yard.  Just thinking about it makes me smile.  Their trips to Hawoya instead of Hawaii.  And my favorite of all.  Her answering machine message which ended always with have a JUANderful day.
And then there’s the bagel at the kettle which in Andyese translates to the Beagle at the kennel.  We were getting Chris a beagle pup for his 11th birthday. Andy kept telling everyone we were going to the kettle to get a bagel puppy.
Other than burglar, which I thought was burgular until my ex told me differently, I think I am pretty accurate on my pronunciations…and I have a good memory for names…
Guess that quirk skipped a generation. 
Have a Juanderful day.  LeeAnn

No comments:

Post a Comment