Thursday, October 6, 2011

Action/Reaction

Most of us won’t make the impact on the world that Steve Jobs did. But everyone of us will make an impact on someone. My favorite quote by Oswald Chambers  You are born into this world and will probably never know to whose prayer your life is the answer” says this in a spiritual way. I truly believe that each of us have a purpose on this earth, big or small, none any less important than another’s.
Some of the lives we touch we may never know about. I think of the mother of the little girl that called me a few months ago to tell me how much my son’s kindness had impacted her daughter many years ago.  All grown  up, her daughter still remembered how Andy was always kind to her, even when it caused him to be made fun of for being so.  I doubt Andy realized as a child doing the right thing the impact he had on her life.
Most of us may not achieve the celebrity status of Steve Jobs, or impact the world in such a major way as he did.  But all of will make an impact.
Working in Hospice, it’s easy to see the impact that our staff has on our patients and their families at the end of their life.  Our staff consider it a privilege and an honor to be able to be there for these people as their journey through this life comes to an end.  In a very real way, their kindness and care make a difference to someone.
My comedy makes an impact on people, if only for a couple of minutes and that feels really good to me. To make someone laugh, to make someone smile, in the case of the speed daters to put someone at ease with my humor gives me great joy.  I may not reach the masses as professional comedians do.  But I’m happy to do what I do small scale or not.
I think at times its easier to sit back and think “what  difference will that few dollars, or that little bit of time, or that casserole dropped off for a funeral dinner, or that card I took a few seconds to write to thank someone for what they do” will make.  The truth is, it may make a huge difference.  That dollar may be the final dollar needed to help whatever the need is. That time donated to help with Vacation Bible School, or a fundraiser for an animal rescue may make a huge difference for a child or an animal.
If you think well my sending someone a card isn’t that big of a deal,  I can’t tell you how good it makes me feel when someone sends me a card out of the blue to say thanks or I’ve missed you, or I’m sorry.
Sometimes it’s the smallest of things that can make the biggest of a difference.   Like C clips to hold the tire on a lawn mower.  (LOL)  Or that one baby aspirin a day regimen.  That can prevent a major heart attack.   Sometimes a simple “good job” can motivate someone to work harder because they are appreciated.
Yesterday, reading some of  the Steve Job quotes posted on the internet I came across this one several times.  He said “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life.  Don’t be trapped by dogma-which is living with results of other peoples thinking.  Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.  And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become.  Everything else is secondary.”

Wise words.  I think sometimes we are so busy trying to fit in or do the right thing, or trying to please other people that we lose sight of our dreams and goals.  If there is anything I have learned in the last 53 years it’s that you can’t please everyone.  Someone is always going to have an opinion contrary to yours.  It may be a close friend, it may be your spouse or child, it may be a total stranger.  The key is to adhere to what you feel is right, and not let the “world” dictate your success or failure.   When you find your purpose and fulfill it, you are making an impact .  You may not see how or why, you may never know who benefitted from your actions but someone did. 
For every action there is reaction.  Things we do affect other people and those effects can change the world.  Steve Jobs changed the world with his contribution.    I love love love my I-phone. And in a very indirect way he changed mine recently.  Chris went to work for Apple in Austin and is now happy and fulfilled because he is doing something he loves.  His job change allowed Juliet to be able to make a change as well and she is happy with her new position.  And because they no longer work together they needed a 2nd car.   So they bought my extra car that I needed to sell which has allowed me some breathing room in my budget which makes me a whole lot less grumpy which makes my co-workers happy because I’m back to my usual cheerful, upbeat self.  And so it goes……………………….
Whether we make a difference to the world with our contribution, or a difference to one person with our contribution doesn’t matter.  Whether our contribution earns us billions of dollars or a warm fuzzy feeling doesn’t matter.   What matters is that we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment