Sunday, January 1, 2012

New year, new determination, new goals

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With a great start at midnight with a kiss from my future husband Joe and waking up to a pug and a beagle snuggled next to me the year has started off pretty good.  This morning, I headed to Church and as always at my Church, the 1st Sunday of the month is Communion Sunday..Seemed a fitting way to start a new year.  For me it symbolizes laying down all the "stuff" and starting new with a new round of forgiveness and a new resolve to be the best Christian I can be. 

Of course, the word Christian means different things to different people.  For my own "faith" journey, I feel like it means loving others, leaving the judgement to God.  Today as I sat in the choir loft and looked out on the congregation, I saw flawed human beings.  There was not a single person out there that could cast the first stone.  All of us have done and do things that we probably wouldn't pass through  the filter of "good Christian behavior" depending on who the person is making the determination.  For me, God will have the final say.

A friend told me the other day that her young daughter, a few days before Christmas said, "you know, I'm not sure I like this Santa guy.  He seems to know way too much about me...its kinda creepy. I thought that was a pretty funny statment.  None of us want to be examined that closely because if we were there are sure to be some spots on our character.  I remember making a vow to myself when I was about 7 that when I grew up I would never threaten my children with Santa.  You better be good, Santa's watching..you better stop crying now or Santa won't bring you any presents....Santa knows that you just pinched your brother...and so on.  I kinda felt like my friends daughter...Who was this Santa person and how come he got to be the judge. Then I became a mom and found myself saying those very things I hated hearing as a child.

When I was younger, I was pretty motivated by what others thought of me.  Now, my motivation comes from a higher power. I do care what God thinks of me...ultimately I would like to hear "well done, good and faithful servant."  I know I will hear those words some day because I have the absolute, unshakeable beleif that if I do the best I can, God will forgive the areas where I fail.

As the new year begins, I am ready to re-focus my life and become an even better person.  I am pretty sure I blogged about the "fuels" many months ago but today I am thinking about those things again because it is those areas of my life that I have control.  I may not be able to control how other people think or act or relate to me.  But I can control these facets of my life, knowing that my input matters a great deal. Physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually I am ready to tackle the new year with a new attitude.


This last month was a major struggle for me in regard to diet and exercise.  Too many temptations, too many choices, and too many convincing excuses.  No exercise because it gets dark to early and I have to work until 5 now and I have shopping to do and work is stressful because people are out on vacation and theres more to do.  NONE of these excuses were valid had I been truly motivated. I wasn't.  Today I am ready, on this brand new calendar page of a brand new year to get back on track.
Taking care of my health has got to be a high priority for me. As a diabetic, I don't have the choice to sit back and think, well I'll worry about it tomorrow.  Every day I have to renew my resolve to make healthy choices in regard to my diet, I have to renew my resolve to take my insulin shots at the correct intervals, I have to resolve to monitor my blood sugar as I'm supposed to and not as I think of, I have to find ways to find time to get out and walk again.  I may work 30 minutes later...but I now have an hour for lunch instead of 30 minutes. There's a walking track less than a mile away.  I know my weaknesses after 53 years and so it doesn't make sense to think that this time I can buy a 1/2 gallon of ice cream instead of a cone and dole it out over a period of several weeks.  Whatever!  So I resolve to ignore the "price break" of buying junk food in bulk...and make it more difficult to attain. If I have to drive to get it, I must really want it.  Joe continues to amaze me as he educates himself about diabetes and helps me to help myself.   My physical goal is to get more weight off, to eat the right things....the old saying eat what's right, not what's left comes to mind.  Gone is the mantra "so many restaurants, so little time" lol.  My new chant is nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels. With prayer and a desire to see my body as a temple, serving God the best that I can because I am the best I can be in regard to health, I know that I can make a difference in a very real way.

I am gonna listen carefully to my body and obey its signals.  Like right now, my body is saying that I need a serious nap.  I'd like to blog more but my pillow calls.  I'd be fuelish to ignore that.  Sweet dreams. 

No comments:

Post a Comment