Have you ever been around one of those know it all type
people who make statements and judgments about people that they don’t even
know?
Have you ever been around one of those people who think that
their way is the only way and that anyone that doesn’t adhere to their way is
wrong or stupid?
One of those people who feel the need to boss everyone
around them even though they are not the boss?
A lot of my “mental stress” of late has been because of such
a person that probably doesn't even knowing they are doing it because it is so
much a part of their “personality”.
There have been a couple of instances in my life where I
ended a friendship because it became such a problem to be around that kind of
negativity and judgmental attitude. In
this particular case, the person is not a friend but is someone that through
circumstances I have to be around frequently. For the foreseeable future anyway, I have no
choice but to deal with this person.
There used to be a woman that I worked with that no one
liked because she simply had this “air” about her, as if she thought she was so
much better than everyone else. She
rarely spoke to anyone when she was around, and she carried herself in a manner
that indicated she thought she was better than anyone. First impressions can be wrong and for those
of us who had the opportunity to spend a little time with her, we found that
she was very genuine and a very nice person who, in fact was very insecure.
Somehow, I don’t think that’s the case with this
person. As she masquerades about as this
Christian person, making snide, disparaging remarks about people she doesn’t
know and hasn’t taken the time to get to know, you get the feeling that she
thinks that is just the way you are supposed to act.
If there is compassion there, I don’t see it. And that makes me both angry and sad at the
same time. Angry that she feels the
right to bash others she doesn’t know and sad that she thinks she is not doing
anything wrong. I wonder if she realizes
that her isolation is not only self imposed (because she makes no effort to
interact) but that is also a form of self preservation by those around
her. If she’s that ugly about people she
claims to like or in some cases doesn’t even know, why would anyone want to
fall victim to her. Better to smile,
keep your distance, keep the peace and know that she will eventually get a taste of her own medicine.
In light of my recent blog in which I related Christ’s
commandment to Love the unlovable, it occurs to me that this person is a very
real test of whether or not I am truly capable of doing that. Today, I don’t think so.
You think that once you get past a certain age…say 12…that
bullying would stop. Maybe it’s not
ganging up on some poor unfortunate nerdy kid on the playground and not letting
them be in the “club”, maybe it’s not a group of older kids making a younger
kid cry, maybe it’s not one girl making up and spreading lies about another
girl……sometimes it’s an adult woman who makes an insensitive remark about
someone that she doesn’t know that who happens to be going through a difficult
time in her personal life. Maybe it’s an
adult woman who tells someone the wrong way to do something just to watch them
fail. I guess that even in the adult
world, cliques exist. Unfortunately,
there is not much that can be done. Self-
righteous people will always exist.
There will always be people who take pleasure in other’s pain.
Sometimes, you have to speak up. Sometimes it’s best to turn the other
cheek. Today I spoke up for someone that
was being criticized and labeled unfairly.
I am sure that I will be the next victim because I dared to speak
up. I’m ok with that.
Somewhere in the Bible is a verse which think is something
like this
No weapon formed
against you shall prosper.
I think in a very real sense the unkind or untruthful words
spoken against you are a weapon.
I am depending on God’s defense.
I am depending on God’s defense.
No comments:
Post a Comment