Thursday, April 5, 2012

Maundy, Maunday 2012

This morning I told Joe that we had a Church service tonight because its Maundy Thurdsay and I am in the choir.  He asked me what Maundy Thursday was and I couldn't remember but knew I had blogged about it last year.  So I went back and found the blog and decided to repost it (first time I've done that) and add a few thoughts on the last year and how I've done with the Mandatory commandment of LOVE THY NEIGHBOR.  

It goes beyond that though.  It involves being a servant to those around you.  Servanthood does not mean being a subservient or less than someone else. It means serving others, putting others needs before your own at times.  There isn't  a parent out there that doesn't understand that concept.  From the moment our children are born we become servants.  Not in a bad way.  We are charged with this new life to teach and guide and nurture.  Ask any new mother who is in charge in their household.  Its not her or the husband.  Their very lives are now centered 24/7 around this infant.  As they grow that may mean giving up their time to be a chauffer, a coach, a cheerleader.  It may mean that new shoes for growing feet trumps that cute new purse at the mall.  It may mean putting off retirement to get a kid through college.  It may even mean having to raise grandkids just when they thought they could relax and do whatever they wanted for a change.

Servanthood means that sometimes you stay late at work to help a co-worker and you don't expect to be paid in anything but a thank you.  Servanthood means you get up a few minutes early to make coffee for a spouse so they can sleep a few minutes longer.  Servanthood is simply caring about the needs of others. Servanthood may mean you can't get your nails done because your son or daughter needs a new tire.  Servanthood takes many forms.  Mother Theresa is who I think of when I think of the word servant.  She put aside her needs to help the most needy. 

 Marriage to me is a form of servanthood.  A good form.  And if both partners are servants, then the marriage is whole. Each one caring for the other makes sense.  Nothing gives me greater joy than to do something for Joe.  And he feels the same way about me.  Wow!  What a blessing that is.


As Christians we realize that God places before me a wide array of opportunities.  Some are self fulfilling and serving others.  Like singing in the choir.  Some aren't particularly self fulfilling but I felt the call to do, such as serving as the Sunday School Secretary and sitting alone at a desk for an hour to tally the class attendance rather than being in a Sunday School class.


The phrase its better to give than to receive is usually connected with gift giving.  But ask anyone who volunteers with the elderly, or the homeless, or any organization what end they'd rather be on.  It is in the giving that they are blessed. 


And so it goes.  I did a pretty good job this past year of loving my neighbor.  Last years blog title said it all.  Love the unlovable.  Its easy to love those that love you.  Not so much to love your enemies and people who tick you off.   I had a few bumps along the way. Most of my "what a jerk, they can't possible be lovable in any way to any one " moments came from the dating realm.   The guy who told me I wasn't attactive and that he only dated beautiful women ......the guy who left me stranded at Los Cabos, the guy who didn't bother to show up for a date....the guy who sent less than appropriate pictures of himself to my cell phone... .challenges in the finding the good in everyone goal I set for myself. The co-worker who threw me under the bus, the company who sent me a hideous mustard colored dress and refused to return my money, the person who told me in no uncertain terms how much they hated me....to name a few.

Still, I can say I harbor no ill will toward anyone.  There are some people that I love only because I am commanded to do so, not because I find any redeeming quality about them....the bullies, the complainers, the selfish, the arrogant. 

At the end of the day, I lay my head down on my pillow, thank God for all the people in my life that are easy to love.. Joe, my kids, my family, my friends;  I ask God for help in dealing with those who make it difficult to even like them, let alone love them.....and for guidance and wisdom in the choice I make of how to use what I have been given to bless others.

 And for the will and the patience and the heart to love the unlovable.
 

Love the Unlovable   blog from Maundy Thursday 2011

Today is Maundy Thursday and we had a communion service at Church tonight. Since I sing in the choir, and we were singing I went. Thats 2 days in a row for me!  I had no idea what Maundy Thursday even meant.  So I asked.  There happened to be a young girl in the choir room that is going through confirmation classes and she knew.  None of us adults really did.  Apparently, Maundy is latin for mandatory.  Maundy Thursday was the day of the Last Supper, when Jesus ate with the disciples and "said his goodbyes" in so many words.  He left them with a mandatory (which means you have to do it) commandment...to Love thy neighbor. 

I do my best to follow that commandment.  But sometimes there are people that are really difficult to love. For example, I have to grit my teeth and draw on all my kindness reserves when sales people somehow find and call my cell phone trying to sell me something and continue to talk when you politely say no.

Or the former co-worker of mine who for whatever reason gave my CELL PHONE number to the place she borrowed money from and who is trying to hunt her down.  No matter how many times I have told them that I have no information about her, they continue to call me almost every day.

Or the woman who was cursing at her child the other day on the walking path  because he wasn't walking fast enough. 

Or  the person who honked at me the  milisecond the light turned green.  Give me time to put my foot on the gas for crying out loud!!

There are just a lot of unlovable people in the world.  But it doesn't matter because we still are supposed to love them. Actually, I have mastered this pretty well through the years.  I harbor no unforgiveness (well maybe a smidgeon) toward anyone.  I can usually find a nugget of good in most people,even the ones that make it a huge undertaking to do so. 

Whenever someone is rude or hateful or even mean I just remind myself that there may be something going on in their life that is causing them to lash out. I try not to take it personally.

During the sermon tonight the Pastor was talking about how Jesus didn't discriminate in regard to who he loved. He even shared that Last Supper with someone he knew was going to betray him.  I had one of those laughing and I can't stop moments when he asked when the last time we ate with someone that had betrayed us was.  Without even thinking and way too loudly I said aloud, that would be my ex-husband last December. 
Which was really not a very nice thing to say because the reality of it is I actually like my ex-husband and harbor no ill will for him.  Or his wife.  Ok, I admit I did call her the a really bad name for a period of time but I got past that, have forgiven and moved on.  I even include them in my prayers.  After all, they are a big part of my sons' lives and to be unkind to them would hurt my sons.

So today as I reflect on Maundy Thursday and the Last Supper and the love that Christ had for us, I  am  encouraged and challenged to do a better job at keeping that mandatory commandment.  Love one another.  Harder sometimes than you think, but worth it in the long run. 

I love you my friends....truly!  LeeAnn

No comments:

Post a Comment