I was reading the Parade magazine that comes in the Sunday paper yesterday and the “ask Marilyn” thing said “There is only one time In your life when you’re twice as old as your child. When is that?”
The answer is “when the child reaches the age you were when he or she was born. So basically only one time in life are you twice as old as your child. And for me, that happens tomorrow when my awesome son Chris turns 27. I turned 54 in September. So I thought about it and lo and behold they were right. I was 27 years old when William Christopher Byers came into this world November 6, 1985 at 11 something a.m. at Medical City Dallas Hospital in Dallas Texas.
In that particular “era” most girls had their babies in their early20’s but considering I didn’t marry Chris’ dad until I was 25, 27 didn’t’ seem all that long to wait. And in 6 more years I will get to celebrate the momentous occasion of being twice as old as my child for the 2nd time when Andy turns 30 and I am 60 years old.
I remember distinctly when I turned 25 years old because I had moved to Houston with Mike and was “far away” from my mom for the first time having lived within an hour of her most of my life (except for a short stint in Red River NM)…..I remember because she pointed out to me when she called me that birthday to wish me happy birthday and make sure I was doing ok so “far from home” lol….that she was 50 years old. So my mom was 25 when she had me. And I was her 3rd child. I remember her telling me that I should live each day to the fullest because the next 25 years would fly by quickly. And sure enough they did just like she said.
It doesn’t seem like its been 27 years ago when I walked doubled over in labor pain into that hospital in Dallas, Texas, scared out of my mind and telling Mike I didn’t think I could go through with it! It doesn’t seem like 27 years ago that I watched my son being swaddled in a blanket and placed on my chest to be introduced to his mama.
It doesn’t seem like 27 years ago that I watched my mothers face light up with joy as she held her grandson for the first time. It was at that moment, that our relationship changed. It was at that moment that I became a mom that I fully understood the love my mother had for me…a kind of love that it is not possible to put into words.
And the last 27 years have held challenges and triumphs, sorrows and tremendous joys as I watched my sons grow up. Parenting isn’t an easy job sometimes but my two sons have made it seem pretty easy along the way. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. I made plenty of mistakes along the way but in the end, I know I did the best I could and I couldn’t ask for better “boys”.
And so tomorrow Chris Byers as you celebrate turning 27 with your beautiful wife by your side, across the miles I will be thinking of you, praying for you and thinking about what an incredible gift God trusted me with. You are an amazing young man and I cherish you more than you can ever know.
MOM
No comments:
Post a Comment