Today on facebook a friend has put the quote “The tongue has
no bones, but it is strong enough to break a heart. So be careful with your
words.
I remember as a little girl the chant “sticks and stones may
break my bones but words will never hurt me.”
Oh, how I wanted to believe that but often found it wasn’t true. I was
picked on a lot when I was a kid. I wasn’t
particularly homely or anything but my mom had given me a curly perm and my
front teeth stuck out a little and so the kids in 2nd grade called
me gopher. I was not very athletic,
even then and so I was always the last one picked for any team when it came to
kickball, etc. And I was not at all good
at hiding my feelings (still not) and so when I did get called a name or picked
last I would usually start to cry which made it sooooo much worse. Somehow, saying (as my mom told me to) Stick
and stones may break my bones…….didn’t seem that effective when said through
tears.
I remember that I could hardly wait for my perm to be gone so
I wouldn’t be called curly head gopher anymore.
My teeth seemed to take care of themselves eventually and the perm grew
out; but by then I had been forced to get glasses and so four eyes took over as
the preferred taunt. “Boys never make
passes as girls who wear glasses” I remember the chant well. Though at that age I didn’t have a clue what
making passes meant. I just knew it
sounded like I was being left out of something.
I made a little headway by 4th grade as my perm
was gone, almost everyone had glasses by then and I started to come out of my
shyness a little. I didn’t cry quite so
readily anymore. I had a circle of
friends who served to buffer me from the bullies. I still was last picked at recess. But I was really good at writing and spelling
and so I found something that gave me satisfaction. I remember the teacher reading my essays out
loud almost every time we had a writing assignment and I was the 5th
grade Spelling bee champ. I got a little
respect for that. But kids being kids, I
got picked on for being teachers “pet.”
I was grateful that my name didn’t rhyme with anything so I
didn’t have the same misfortune as some
of my friends. Joni Baloney comes to
mind. And my friend Tina Kellogg who
always got called Kellogg’s cornflakes.
The truth is, words do hurt sometimes. I know people who don’t really “filter” their
words in the interest of “well it’s the truth so why shouldn’t I say it” and as
a result leave a lot of hurt feelings and
broken hearts along the way.
A couple of weeks ago Joe and I went to Church with Chris
and Juliet and the topic was called “there’s no app for that” Controlling my Mouth. Their pastor made a lot of good points. One of them was “my mouth can destroy what’s
around me”. Quoting from James 3: 6 “the tongue also is a fire, a world of evil
among the parts of the body”. He warned
against becoming a verbal arsonist.
How often have we seen it happen? Someone’s remark that causes a virtual
firestorm of gossip. Regardless of the
truth, once something is said it is out there. It can’t be taken back. I always thought it was interesting when on “court
shows” someone will object and then the judge has the words stricken from the
record. Well, they may not be written
down anymore. But once they were out
there and into the ears of the jurors, I would think it impossible to ignore. Maybe that’s the point. Lawyers say something that will be objected
too knowing that even if the objection is sustained, the damage is done.
I haven’t enjoyed my job much lately. The job itself hasn’t changed but the
atmosphere in which I work has. A
particularly difficult co-worker, who has no verbal filter, and a highly
critical spirit has created a rift
within the office that is hard to ignore.
Unfortunately, this verbal arsonist, in spite of being told that she is
too harsh and critical and speaks to people in a way that is condescending and
rude, cannot accept that truth and has stated that she is a people person. That the people who have a problem with her
are too “sensitive”. She truly believes that
she is well liked for her “Honesty” when in fact she is not. She is not a good
fit for “hospice” where feelings are amplified by the sheer reality of the
lives we deal with on a daily basis.
All of us have said things in anger that we regret. We all stumble. I remember once when my ex-husband asked me
what it was like to hear God’s voice speaking to me saying “well you’ll never
know because only His sheep hear his voice and you are an ass. Seeing the hurt on his face, I wished I could
take it back but once it’s said, its done.
All that’s left to do is apologize and feel bad about what you said.
Another point the pastor made was that our “mouth can
display what’s inside of us” If we hold
on to anger or bitterness or negative emotions, they are going to eventually
come out when we least expect it. And we
may vent that venom on someone who did
nothing but be at the wrong place at the wrong time. We all do this. I know that I have taken my bad mood home
with me many times and allowed some small thing to be magnified because I haven’t
dealt with the real issue.
It’s easy to speak before we think sometimes. The phrase open mouth, insert foot comes to
mind. I know I have unwittingly hurt
feelings before by not thinking before I speak.
If only it were easier to heed
the advice of James 1:19-20 Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak
and slow to become angry………..
Easier said than done.
But worth the effort. Things are radically different than when I was a
kid. Then, you might be bullied or
called a name and everyone in earshot heard.
Now, a reputation can be destroyed, a heart broken, a fragile life
pushed over the edge by a post on social media that is seen instantaneously by
hundreds of people.
In the case of my verbal arsonist co-worker, I’m not sure
what it will take to put out the fire she has started. We can distance ourselves from her as much as
possible so that she doesn’t have the opportunity to hurt us. We can look for another place to work but
there are those like her in every workplace.
We can teach ourselves not to react to her and hope that she will stop
when she sees she has no power to make someone feel bad. Cruella needs to be taught a lesson, I
heard someone say this morning. Maybe a little bullying the bully? I have
tried the “speaking the truth in love” method telling her that I thought she
was a little harsh on someone and that maybe she owes them an apology” only to
be told to mind my own business.
Maybe watching her uncontrolled tongue wreak havoc in its
path is simply a reminder to the rest of us to guard our own.
My brother Jimmy played a gig at a place called Strange Brew
last Saturday night. The waitresses were
wearing Strange Brew t-shirts. The back
of them said “BE DIFFERENT, BE KIND”.Another good reminder to us all , but how
sad that being kind is being different.
Maybe we should all fall back to the advice we have all
heard hundreds of times. “If you can’t
say something nice, don’t say anything at all.
What a kinder world it would be.
Or at least, think before we speak and make sure our words meet the
following “tests”.
Is it true? Is it
necessary? Is it kind?
No comments:
Post a Comment