I was walking after work and I saw a bluebird a couple days ago. I’m sure it was the bluebird of Happiness. I say that because on the rare occasions I have seen a bluebird, something good always seems to happen. I remember the day I found out that I was pregnant with Andy. I was sitting in my car after leaving the doctor’s office, thinking about how I was going to tell Mike the news and a bluebird landed on my windshield and stayed there for what seemed like several minutes. What is significant about that is 5 years prior, on the morning of my wedding day there was a bluebird perched on my car hood when I left the house for the church to get ready. Those 2 incidents and one other have stuck in my mind all these years. The other time I saw a bluebird was on the morning I had dropped Chris off for his first day of Kindergarten. Any mother will tell you what a bittersweet day that is. I had returned home and was sitting on the back porch, tears streaming down my face that my baby had grown up so fast when a bluebird lit on the swingset. Somehow, seeing it I knew everything would be ok. And later when I picked him up he was so excited. He loved school and the smile on his little face made me happy.
And so I await with great anticipation to see what good news the bluebird of happiness I saw yesterday signifies in my life this time. Not that I need a bluebird to know that happiness is about to visit me. It’s already here. Even before I saw the bluebird. I am truly happy right now at this point in my life. Most of the wounds of past relationships have healed. I am in a good place. I feel very balanced. My sons are both happy. My job still fulfills me. I have several upcoming opportunities to perform my comedy. The inspiration for my blogs keeps coming. I have reconnected with several old high school friends, I have found the motivation to finally get serious about losing weight, exercising and getting healthy. I love singing in the choir at Church and I have even gotten comfortable and love playing bells.
Actually, if you google bluebirds you will find that they are the most universally accepted symbol of cheerfulness, happiness, prosperity, hearth and home, good health, new births, the renewal of springtime, etc. Virtually any positive sentiments may be attached to the bluebird.
I have a glass bluebird that belonged to my mom sitting in kitchen windowsill at home. Whenever I look at it I think of my mom. Happiness seemed to surround her. Even when she was dying of cancer, she managed to make everyone around her happy. I think of how her face lit up every time saw me. Someday I hope to meet someone that lights up like that when they see me or think about me. She loved me so much. She loved all her kids and grandkids and friends and my dad. She loved Life! And so do I.
Driving to work today the signs of spring are all around. A baby calf following its mother in the pasture. Yellow daffodils along the side of the road. The white dogwood trees in full bloom next to a tree that is just beginning to bud. Pretty soon the park in Muskogee will be in full bloom with pink and white azalea bushes. The fields of dead grass along the way to work will be green and in some cases full of wild yellow flowers which always makes me want to stop and go sit among them.
Not sure why that old song says may a bluebird of happiness fly up your nose. That sounds painful. I prefer may the bluebird of happiness fly across your path. Be happy, keep smiling. Let your spirit soar.
P.S. The bluebird did bring some pretty happy news today. My diabetic dr. called with the first all good, all normal report that I’ve had in 3 years. I am well on my way to good health.
And my comedy gig is confirmed at Austin’s Capitol City Comedy Club for Sunday night at 8 p.m. I’d say those 2 things count for significant bluebird sightings.
And my comedy gig is confirmed at Austin’s Capitol City Comedy Club for Sunday night at 8 p.m. I’d say those 2 things count for significant bluebird sightings.
No comments:
Post a Comment