Sunday, March 20, 2011

Doy Gracias a Dios para ti...Feliz Cumpleanos Juliet

This is the story of a beautiful Mexican girl and how it is that she became such a big part of my life.  Today on her birthday, I want to pay tribute to a truly awesome friend and daughter in law.  Xochitl Julieta Otero Perez Byers. 
My son Chris was in college and had come home for the summer to work at Georgia Pacific to make some good money before heading back to college.  It just so happened that one of the Youth that was scheduled to go on the Youth Mission Trip that July to Rio Bravo, Mexico had to back out at the last minute due to illness. The Youth director, knowing how much Chris loved Mission trips and needing a guitar player for the trip called to see if he would like to go.  So Chris ended up going on a mission trip that he was not intending to go on.
I truly believe that God’s hand was in their meeting. Chris had taken High School Spanish and hated it. Then in college when he didn’t have to take a language he took Spanish again. I remember asking him one day why he would take a class that he obviously didn’t like and didn’t need to take.  I remember he said, I don’t know. I just feel like I’m supposed to. “  And so it goes.  Even then, God was preparing him for his future.
Since I wasn’t there when it happened, I can only go on what others have told me.   According to Keith Garrison, the choir director he saw the moment they fell in love.  He said Chris was playing his guitar and singing and looking at Juliet and that she was looking at him and he just knew.  These two are going to fall in love.  Other accounts of that mission trip were similar.  It was obvious that there was an attraction there that was going to continue on beyond the trip.
When Chris returned to the U.S. he could hardly wait to tell me and his dad and stepmom about the beautiful Mexican girl he had met on the trip.  He began to email her and call her and his cell phone bill, which I was paying turned into a house payment amount until I called and added the unlimited to Mexico call plan. 
By September, Chris was exploring fiancée visas and researching the web on the cost and application process.  By October he had made plans to make a trip to Mexico to visit her.  By December, he had sold his Xbox and had purchased an engagement ring and asked that his Christmas gift be a trip to Mexico to propose to her.  When he returned with a Yes to his proposal, he and I began working on the fiancée visa, a process not for the faint of heart.  Forms and forms and forms and money and money and money were required.  Juliet and her family had to travel 14 hours one way to make an appearance at the Mexican embassy  to finalize the visa.
Finally, on June 7, 2007, Juliet Otero Perez was on her way to the U.S. and a life with Chris.  I had my doubts that she would go through with it. She had never been out of Mexico, never been on an airplane, never lived away from home.   She had not met anyone in Chris’ family.  The Visa process would require that she remain in the country for at least a year without being able to go home to visit.  It would require that she fill out more paperwork to be able to work.  She would have to obtain a drivers license. So many things, details that would deter or overwhelm some, she handled with grace and a courage like I’ve never seen.
This beautiful girl, stepped off the plane and rode with my son to Cheddar’s Restaurant in Tulsa where Andy and I anxiously awaited, hoping that Chris would walk in with her, not alone because she had changed her mind.   My first impression was how pretty she was.  She spoke perfect English. (she is bilingual) She was friendly but a little reserved and it was obvious from the way that she looked at Chris that she was deeply in love with him. I had always told my sons to find someone who lights up when you come into the room.  She did and he did.  Good enough for me.
Over the next few weeks we would plan a reception for them, as they had decided to go to Eureka Springs with only a couple of friends along to get married since her family couldn’t be here to witness the ceremony.  Finally, on July 7, 2007   (7-7-7) they were married and began their life together.
There has not been one moment in the last almost 4 years that I have questioned her commitment to my son or his to her.  Juliet has brought so much joy to my life. She has a child like spirit that you instantly take to. She is curious and excited about every new experience.  Since she hadn’t experienced a lot of things we take for granted, for a couple of years I appointed myself the show Juliet everything person. We went to a circus and a wildlife habitat and the zoo and to the fair and casinos.   We went to Las Vegas and Colorado and Dallas.  She met all of Chris’ family and friends.
And over the course of the last few years she has become so much a part of my life that I can’t remember what life was like before she was in it.  I’m sure Chris agrees.   She has become so much more to me than my son’s wife or my daughter in law.  She is my friend, my confidante, my cheerleader and advisor.  She is kindhearted and loving and caring and funny and wise beyond her years.
She is everything I could have hoped my son would choose in a spouse and I am truly blessed to have such an incredible woman in my life. 
And so today, Juliet on your birthday, I want to say to you that I love you like a daughter.  You have blessed my life beyond what I could have ever hoped and I am so happy to be a part of yours.
ELAN

No comments:

Post a Comment