Monday, March 28, 2011

Jesus with Skin on

At Church yesterday, I was busy at the Sunday School desk!  Not only had I missed last week because I was in Austin and so had last weeks tally to do in addition to this weeks, but the woman who is the “runner”, who takes the attendance folders around to the various classrooms and drops them off  and then makes a second round to pick them up was not there today.   So when I got to my desk to do my duties, there were extra things for me to do.  I took the folders to the various classrooms and returned to the desk to work on last weeks stuff.  Around the corner, in the midst of my frenzy, came Brian.
 Brian is a fixture at our Church.  He is a mentally disabled man who is there every Sunday, rain or shine.   He wanders the hallways and eventually makes it into the sanctuary usually in the middle of the sermon.   Brian loves Dr. Pepper.  Through the years, different members have taken it on themselves to give him the 50 cents each week he needs to buy his Dr. Pepper.  Lately, that has fallen to me.  I tell him that his payment is a hug, even though I could probably do without the hug.  You see, you usually smell Brian before you see him.  He never asks outright for the money.  He just stands and smiles at you until you acknowledge him and say, “hey have you had your Dr. Pepper today? “ And then he shakes his head no and you give him the quarters.  There have been Sunday’s that I have forgotten to bring any change that I am hitting up friends for the money so I can give Brian his treat.
Today, I was frazzled.  I didn’t really feel very sociable.  I woke up late, I missed my coffee, and I was cranky.  And so when in the midst of trying to get everything done in the short amount of time I had to do it Brian came around the corner, I was not in the mood to be charitable. I just wanted to get my stuff done, get through Church and go home.  I said “Hi Brian” but that’s about it.  As he stood and looked at me in anticipation of our routine conversation, I felt irritated.  I didn’t want to have to stop what I was doing, dig in my purse for quarters, and be hugged by a stinky person.  I was feeling very uncharitable today for some reason.   I was wrestling with my conscience and wondering why I felt so “mean spirited” when all of the sudden Brian said “hey have you had your Dr. Pepper today?”  That was usually my line.  I said,” no I haven’t Brian.”  “Here,”  he said, holding out his hand and showing me the 2 quarters in them.  “That’s ok I said.  You use them for yourself this time.”   “Hug?  he asked and came toward me.   
I felt about as high as a flea about that point.  I stood up and hugged him and he walked away to go buy his Dr. Pepper.  I felt ashamed of my earlier irritation.  I have so, so much to be thankful for.  I don’t have mental problems, or hygiene issues. I don’t have to depend on others for my Dr. Pepper on Sunday mornings. I don’t have to walk to Church and walk back home. I have clean clothes in abundance. I have a good job, wonderful friends and family.  I have a God who values me for who I am.  I have a God who doesn’t love me more because of what I have or who I am. God loves Brian as much as he loves me. 
Sometimes God sends us a message through the unlikeliest of people.  I got the message today, loud and clear.  It’s not about me. It’s about others.  God has commanded us to love our neighbors.  My neighbors aren’t just the people I surround myself with.  My neighbor is the homeless, the heartbroken, the hungry.  My neighborhood is vast.  It includes all of God’s people.  God sends people into our lives and into our surroundings to teach us, to challenge us and to correct us.
Love is not a sentimental feeling.  Love is action. Love is an action that will interrupt my schedule, risk my reputation, spend  my money even for a stranger so that I can show him love.  Love is a compassion that feels, care that involves and commitment that endures.  Love is going to whatever length necessary to help the hurting.  Love for people is the overflow of a love for God.  Loving my neighbor is not just a good policy, not just being socially appropriate.  It is visible evidence to others of my love for God.
A little boy was praying one night.  When he was done, he got up and hugged his mother who was standing near by.  “What was that for?” his mom asked because the little boy usually just crawled into bed after his prayers. “ I know Jesus loves me “he said.  “And I know you love me like Jesus.  And sometimes, I just need to feel Jesus with skin on.”
Today, I didn’t want to be bothered. I didn’t want to think about someone else’s problems, I didn’t want to be interrupted from the task at hand.  I had too much to do. I didn’t feel charitable.  I needed a hug.  Brian was Jesus with skin on.

No comments:

Post a Comment