Speed dating is really really fun. If you are single and haven’ tried it you need to. I sound like a commercial. Actually, they asked for people willing to speak on camera tonight for a commercial they are making. Of course, I did it. Also, talked to the coordinators about doing a comedy set for them in Tulsa and in Oklahoma City at one of their speed dating events. Entertainment to “break the ice” before the actually speed dating begins. So even without matches, it was a successful evening.
Best part was getting to see my old High School classmate Kim again. Shame I didn’t really know her back then very well ‘cause we hit it off right away and had a great time. She was a little hesitant. And I felt a little bit bad for “getting her into it”. But she ended up having fun which is the whole reason to do the speed dating thing. That and to flex the flirt muscle.
Ok so, only 4 guys showed up. 6 women. So we got 7 minutes each instead of 6. Which is a good thing and a bad thing depending on who you are stuck with for the extra minute.
Up first for me was a pharmaceutical rep who when asked what he did for a living said he was a drug dealer…and then seemed a little put out when I said, Oh so you are a pharmaceutical rep. Guess I ruined his line. He was nice and I think I marked that I wouldn’t mind meeting him again. He was very outgoing and easy to talk to. And yes, I did let him talk…for at least a couple minutes anyway. Kim liked him ok too so I think we both checked yes. I had second thoughts later because I think he might be too short for me. Hard to tell when they are seated and when they move to the next table you are busy writing your notes about them and don’t really notice. Kim wasn’t sure if his hair was real. I didn’t notice his hair. Isn’t it funny how different people notice different things? And now that I type this it’s weird because I can’t remember a thing he told me about himself other than the drug dealer thing.
When the bell rang my next “man” was a tall, guy in a white suit. I remember that. The white suit thing in particular. And he looked tired. Very hard to draw out. I asked him where he lived and he told me but I can’t remember what he said other than he mentioned living on a lake. And so I asked if he spent a lot of time on the lake and he said, no, why would I? So I changed the subject and asked what he did for a living. And he told me he owned a popcorn store and sold different flavors of popcorn and proceeded to name them until I cut in and said “so do you eat a lot of popcorn” and he said, no why would I? NEXT! He obviously was interested in another woman that was there because he would not make eye contact with me but kept glancing over at her like he couldn’t wait to get to her table. I thought it was just me but Kim said the same thing about him. I think he asked me what I did and so I told him I worked for a Hospice and did stand up comedy as a hobby and he said Oh. Just oh. Not oh, that’s interesting. Just Oh. I tried again…so do you have a bucket list, a list of things you’d like to do before you die. (maybe that sounded morbid). He said Yes, I do. So I said, whats on your list. And he said “I can’t think of anything”. SO I said well, I’ll go first..I’d like to visit Napa Valley and go to a winery. And he said, oh. And still couldn’t think of anything. So I marked Not interested. Because it was sheer torture to talk to this man. Kim had the same experience. She said he mentioned the popcorn but not the lake. And that she was praying for the bell to ring soon.
Next up was Grady. Now Grady I like. Not in a romantic way . He’s just a fun guy. I had met him at the speed dating thing I went to in January. And I liked him then. And so I checked yes to meet again. But HE obviously checked no thanks on me. So when he came in and sat down before it started and introduced himself I told him I had met him at the first one and asked if he was gonna reject me again. I continued to razz him about it the rest of the night. The poor guy will mark yes just in case he ever sees me in public again. Actually, he was fun. He’s a locksmith. Could’ve used that when I locked my keys in my car. The best way to describe him I think is to say he reminded me of me, only male. Both Kim and I thought he’d be fun to hang out with. We’ll see what happens. He did ask for our phone numbers. I gave him mine because ..well I have no idea why….Kim did the right thing and said, I’m not giving you my phone number. SO he’ll probably call me to get hers..But I won’t give it Kim. Promise!
Finally, there was the “dentist with bad teeth that’s hobby was playing the Tuba in a german schneitzel band. He told me that his friends thought he was funny and that he’d like to try stand up comedy. I told him he should go for it. I did make him laugh with some of my “comedy clips”. Anything to pass the 7 minutes. He had driven down from Kansas for the event. I thought it was just me. But Kim said that he bored her to tears too. It took him an excruciatingly long time to spit out a sentence. I could have told several stories in the time it took him to say his name and what he did for a living. He needed more than coffee. He needed an energy drink. I asked what kind of music he liked and he said, jazz, reggae, country, rock, oldies and folk. That narrows it down! And listing those took him at least 90 seconds. I thought about asking him about a tooth I have that’s sensitive but that seemed a bit much.
So there you have it. 4 Men. Kim and I marked no on the same two and yes on the same two. It will be interesting to see if we get mutual matches. Actually I’m sure we will. Grady said he checked yes on 5 out of 6. I said Thanks a lot Grady! I like you too. Which made him laugh!
Not the most exciting evening. You know when my thrill for the evening was how well I parallel parked that it wasn’t all that I hoped for.
I ended up with 2 dates this weekend, neither from speed dating. But now my flirt muscles are warmed up and ready for my dates. Should be a great weekend.
Stay tuned. L
Finding a locksmith can be pretty important. Do not try to find the cheapest deal. Find the best deal for your locks instead. Do not wait to get a Locksmith till the date you get stuck inside your car or room.
ReplyDelete