Had a fun meeting last night with the speed dating people who I met with about doing some comedy sets for them prior to the speed dating events just to “break the ice”. I am excited about doing this and think it will go a long way to put people in the right frame of mind to participate in the speed dating.
I admit the first time I tried the speed dating thing I was a little nervous. But my nervousness had nothing to do with meeting the men. My nervousness was more from not knowing how it worked, what to expect.
The 2nd time, knowing what to expect I had no qualms at all. Rather, I looked forward to it because I knew how it worked and had learned from the last experience. Six minutes may seem like a lifetime to someone that is introverted or shy or just takes a few minutes to warm up to people. Six minutes to someone like me is a drop in the bucket in regard to talking. LOL
What I have found in the last couple years as I have done my comedy for various groups is that if you can get people to laugh, or even smile, they relax. The more they laugh, the more they relax. And the more relaxed they are, the more likely they are to enjoy the moment and to actually be themselves.
What a great idea to throw a few minutes of comedy into the mix. I can’t wait. I have too much material for this one. My own dating experiences over the last few years have given me lots of insight into human behavior and expectations. I am so excited to turn this into what I am sure will be a fun routine.
I’m thinking I’ll go the route of examples of what NOT to do on a speed date. Throw in some safety tips (comedic ones of course) and I think everyone will be ready to rock and roll. Hopefully, the shy people will still have a smile on their face and their “date” will see past the natural nervousness which I think dooms a lot of people.
Whoever said Laughter is the best medicine certainly knew what they were talking about. Some of my favorite quotes are about laughter. For me, there is nothing in the world, applause, money, plaques, pats on the back quite as fulfilling than to make someone laugh. I think that’s why I do what I do. Carol Channing is quoted as saying “Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. “ I love that. Its exactly how I feel when I perform. My style of comedy is very much summed up in this quote by Elsa Maxwell, “Laugh at yourself first before anyone else can”.
On my online profiles when it asks what you are seeking I always put Sense of Humor not optional. I cannot imagine spending the rest of my life with someone who doesn’t laugh and laugh often. Life is too short! There are more important things I know. Trust, Integrity, Honesty, Loyalty to name a few. I read somewhere that “we cannot love anybody with whom we never laugh”. I’ve been in a few relationships like that. Never again.
I think this quote by Catullus sums it up for me….in a nutshell. A day without laughter is a day wasted.
Laugh today. If you cannot find anything funny call me and I’ll make you laugh. Your stress and tension will be relieved and you will feel a whole lot better.
Smiles, LeeAnn
No comments:
Post a Comment