My earliest childhood memories are when I was about 5 years
old and we lived in Mesquite,TX on Longview Street. When we moved there in 1963 my brother
Robert was an infant since I’m 5 years older than him. Ok, that’s your clues to figure out how old
my baby brother is. LOL I don’t remember much at all about Robert as
an infant. Across the street from us was
my friend Joni’s house and she had a brother the same age as Robert. Curtis and Robert were the best of friends as
were Joni and I. It was like a package
deal. When Joni came to my house to
play, she brought Curtis to play with Robert and vice versa. Most of my memories from about age 6-12
involve Robert, Curtis and Joni. The
four of us were always together.
I remember Robert was really liked to play in the dirt on
the side of our house and spent hours making roads and driving his little
trucks. When he was old enough to play
football (in Texas you started at about 5 I think) I remember going to all his
games. And in Stillwater when he played
baseball I was usually there. Really,it
wasn’t until we moved to Stillwater and specifically after my parents and
Connie moved to Kingfisher and left Robert to live we me while he finished high
school ( I was 18 at the time—not much of a guardian) that I really got to know
my brother. We became pretty close
during that time we lived together in Stiilwater in a trailer house on Perkins
Road. Later when I married and moved
away with Earl,and Robert was left on his own
I realized how much I had grown to depend on Robert instead of the other
way around and how much I had come to treasure him not just as a brother but as
a friend. It didn’t surprise me at all
that he became an Accountant because he was always very good at managing money
and I think living on his own at such an early age was a big part of that.
It was Robert who came to my rescue a few years later when I
needed “out” in a hurry and he loaned me the money to get an apartment and
spent the day loading my belongings and settling me in to an apartment. And
Robert who consoled me 11 years ago when Mike left me because he had been
through a similar situation himself.
Mostly he just listened as I poured out my heartache and called to check
on me frequently for the months that followed to make sure that I was ok and
that his nephews were handling things ok.
Always, he would say, if you need anything, money, advice or just to
talk I’m here. That meant a lot to me.
My mom would always call me when she knew Robert was coming
to Kingfisher for Sunday lunch because she knew if Robert was going to be there
I would make an extra effort to be there too to see him. Christmas time he could be counted on to
bring the “beer” and keep it hidden away in his car so that my “mom” wouldn’t
know. LOL When she was dying, we were talking one day
and she mentioned that she was never fooled by the red plastic cups and the
trips “outside” to see Robert’s newest car or get some fresh air. She thought it was pretty funny that me and
my adult siblings thought we were fooling her.
When my mom talked about Robert, her face would just light up. She was so proud of him and the man he had
become. She was so thankful when he met
Misty and she loved her from the first time she met her because she knew that
she was right for and that she loved Robert.
Funny how parents have a sixth sense about that kind of thing.
Robert is one of those behind the scene people. The ones that don’t like to be in the
limelight. This blog is probably very
embarrassing for him though I have done my best to leave out the stories about
him growing up……to mention the time he got a personal visit from the Mesquite
fire squad would be “playing with fire”
pun intended. Things might
“poison mushroom” out of control if I got started.(private family joke)
Robert is one of those people that looks the same now as he
did many years ago. He simply doesn’t age.
My friends drooled over the picture I showed them of him taken last
summer. Super handsome, super nice would
be one way to describe my brother Robert.
Along with generous, level headed and kind hearted.
And ever though I see him rarely, at holidays and special
occasions, I know without a doubt if I called him and asked for any favor he would bend over backwards to help me. And I would do the same for him. And as for his middle name...well, my mom
was on some sort of weird French kick when she named him. That’s’ all I’ll say.
That and Happy Birthday little brother! You deserve a great day! I love you!
LeeAnn
Copy and paste in address bar to view pics:
http://s1110.photobucket.com/albums/h448/elan58/Robert%20thru%20the%20years/
http://s1110.photobucket.com/albums/h448/elan58/Robert%20thru%20the%20years/
No comments:
Post a Comment