As I was leaving a baby shower yesterday, the sign on the
Church marquee said “don’t just spend your time, invest it.” It made me think of the time when Andy was
about 4 and we were headed to Kingfisher.
He wondered why his dad wasn’t coming with us and I told him that it was
because his dad’s friend Jim was coming to Muskogee and that he wanted to spend
some time with him. Andy, thought I said
spin some time. He got really quiet then
looked at me and said how do you spin time mom?
Like this and he made a spinning action with his little hand. Cracked me up. He was always misinterpreting things like
that. Once he told me a movie had no sex
in the window. I was totally confused
until he started reciting the advertisement…rated pg, some sexual
innuendo. Another time he told people he
was tested for key lime disease. And
who could forget him singing Little Douche coupe. LOL
Ok, now that I’ve thoroughly embarrassed my son…..back to my point.
Sometimes we do just spin our time instead of spending our
time. Let alone invest it. That’s one of the changes that I made last
year. When I made my Lenten promise to give up 30 minutes of laziness a day and
to use that time to walk instead of watch crap tv I realized very quickly that
I didn’t really miss wasting time veging out in front of the tv. Suddenly, it
became more important to use my time more wisely. And I found that I was just as happy not
knowing who didn’t get the Bachelor’s rose, or who managed to get over the
giant bouncy ball. I began to pick and
choose the things that occupied my time a little more carefully. I learned to say no which was huge! I sought out things to occupy my time
that were good for me…an investment in
my self from exercise to comedy performances to blogging to singing in the choir and ringing
handbells.
When the boys were little I was certainly a hands on
mom. I worked from home and that allowed
me to spend a lot of time with them. I
will always be grateful for that. That
time with my boys was priceless and something I will never forget. When I think of all the funny moments, the
Kodak moments that I would have missed had my time been filled to the breaking
point with unimportant things, I am so glad that I was able to spend my time
with them.
When my mom was dying, I was able to spend time with her due
to being laid off my job and a school schedule that worked out for me to spend
a few days in Kingfisher each week. I
will always be grateful for that.
The time I spent with my kids when they were young and the
time I spent with my mother when she was alive AND when she was dying falls into the category of time
invested. That was more than spending
time. That was investing time.
Investing your time in someone is so much more valuable than
investing your time in something that makes you money so you can give people
things instead of time.
I was thinking for a couple hours after seeing that sign
about my time and how I use it. I think
I’ve achieved a pretty good balance. I
walked after the baby shower, a wise investment in time, I went to the store to
buy birthday cards for some birthdays coming up , a wise investment in time
because its investing my time to tell people I care about them…and then I
rented the movie Courageous because someone said it was good and I was in the
mood to just relax.
The movie, ironically was about dads investing their time in
their children, what happens when there is no father around. More than that though. The deeper theme was about how short our time
is here on earth and how unpredictable life is.
It was about making the most of the time we have; about relationships
with our families, about faith and trusting and love. It takes a huge loss for one father in the
movie to realize how little time he has spent with his son and he sets out to
remedy that.
I’m not picking on dads either. I realize that there are just as many women
that are struggling with jobs, and money and other time consuming issues that
sometime cause them to lose sight of what really matters to them. Sometimes finding a balance between work and
Church and family and all the other things we do is a pretty big struggle.
My friend Jerri’s dad passed away last week. She was devastated. But I know that she had to also take comfort in
knowing that her dad knew how much she
loved him. She showed it in so many ways; from the anniversary party she put
together for her parent’s last year to the trip she took them on last summer. Her loss has made me realize how little time I
spend with my own dad. I’ve been remiss
about getting over to visit as often as I used to. I’m going to change that and start going over
more often.
As soon as I find time.
Correction: As soon as
I MAKE time.
And that’s my point.
When is the last time you made time for someone that you care
about? I have a friend that has a mother
that calls her a lot. Sometimes the phone calls she gets from her
mother just to talk drive her bonkers.
She’s always saying I wish she’d find something to do with her time
other than bother me. And after I think “I’d
give a million bucks to have a phone call from my mom everyday again” , I tell
her “why don’t you go visit her or go take her to lunch or shopping or
something”. She obviously is lonely to
which the response is always “I don’t have time”. She does have time. She just doesn’t make
time. I would never say that to her
directly. I know she truly loves her
mom. She’s always buying her things and sending
the gifts with various relatives that see her mother weekly. The thing is, I know her mother and I know
that her daughter spending an hour with her would mean a heck of a lot more
than the new pricey purse she picked up for her at a sale at the mall.
I read this in a magazine I was flipping thru the other day
while waiting for my doctor to come in the room. It made an impression on me. I can’t remember it exactly but the gist of
it was this
This man was telling a friend about his son who was turning
5 or 6 I think and had always given him a detailed wish list prior to his
birthday down to where he wanted to eat, what he wanted to eat, what kind of
cake and what toys he wanted and what store to find them at. His son’s birthday was coming up and so he
asked him what he wanted for his special day that year. To his surprise the son didn’t come out with his
usual perfectly planned day. Instead he
told his dad that he wanted a ball. The
dad pressed him for what kind of ball.
The son said, well it depends..If you think you are going to have some
time to play ball with me I’d like a football so we can pass it to each other and
stuff. But if you are going to be too
busy to play ball with me like you are now then I want a soccer ball cause I
can kick it down the yard by myself and use the fence as my goal. He told his
son he’d think about it and surprise him.
He was telling his wife about the conversation when all of the sudden it
hit him. His son wasn’t wanting a
ball. He wasn’t wanting a gift. He was
wanting time from the giver. He bought
the football. He stopped spending time
after work watching the news that he
could watch when his son was in bed. He
started playing football with his son and has never regretted it. It took a child to teach a man that time is
so much more valuable than anything else we can give.
Time is the coin of your life. It is the
only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. ~Carl Sandburg
This year I plan to “spin” my time more wisely. With my new husband (7 days and counting),
with my family and friends, at Church and enjoying the things that are truly
important to me. Making every moment
count seems like a pretty lofty goal but it’s worth a try. I want to change this quote
Day, n. A period of twenty-four hours, mostly misspent. ~Ambrose
Bierce
No comments:
Post a Comment