I was so sad a couple of days ago when my I-phone news update
reported that Riverside Drive in Tulsa will be shut down this weekend for
demolition of the 21st street pedestrian bridge. Apparently, the 78 year old bridge is in need
of major repair for safety reasons and with the upcoming “A Gathering Place”
project it was decided to tear it down rather than replace it.
Now, I know it is just a bridge. But if you have ever been in Tulsa and had
the opportunity to walk the River Parks path, you will remember this bridge. Joe and I actually considered getting married
on that bridge because it holds a special place in our hearts. It was on that bridge that we walked hand in
hand a few weeks after meeting each other and it was on that bridge that I fell
in love with Joe and with Tulsa. The
view from the bridge of downtown Tulsa and the Arkansas River, especially at
sunset is awesome.
We crossed that bridge several times a week when we first
moved to Tulsa and were fortunate enough to live right along the river and
access the path across the street that led to the bridge. It was the ultimate place to sit for a while
and just talk, or people watch.
Sometimes the river was full and flowing, and other times the river was
full of islands created when the water flow was not sufficient to cover from
bank to bank.
For Joe, the River Bridge is a part of his childhood. Growing up in the Tulsa Children’s home, he
has fond memories of going down to the bridge.
When he was older and in the Tulsa Boys home, they were given the
freedom to go where they wanted at times and Joe was drawn to the river and to
the bridge because for him it symbolized a stability that his life certainly
had not had. Whatever happened in his
life, he knew the river would always be there.
He was even awarded a certificate at one point when he was Boy of the
Month that said he owned 1 inch of the bridge. He still has that
certificate. I wish we could go and take
one inch of the bridge home with us as a souvenir.
Just like that song that says You don’t know what you’ve got
til it’s gone, I know that after this weekend, every time I drive down
Riverside Drive my heart will be sad when the bridge is no longer there. When I drive down that street now and pass
that bridge, the memories always flood back…that 1st kiss at sunset,
riding bikes across the bridge with Chris and Juliet and Joe and laughing
because Chris and Joe ha pink bikes (free bike rental at the park). I will think of walking Puggy and Layla across
the bridge and how much fun it was to show my niece and nephew and sister the
bridge the Thanksgiving they came to visit.
I will recall the day I stood looking out on the river in complete awe
of God’s handiwork as the river and the sun and the ducks and the breeze
created a perfect peace in my soul.
I would love to go and walk that bridge one last time but
the parking lot is closed and the access blocked and its 6 degrees wind chill
outside. I wish I had taken more photos
of the bridge. I have many from the
bridge. As the past gives way to the
future, I am glad that I was able to experience an integral part of Tulsa if
even for a few years.
Just like life, the river will continue to flow and bring
with it changes. The birds will have
find a new place to land and search for leftover crumbs. The fishermen will have to find a new place
to cast their lines. The parents will
have to find a new special place to show their children. High School kids will have to find a new
backdrop for their Senior pictures. And
the generations that follow will find other places to walk hand and hand and
fall in love with their future spouse. A
man will have to put the 50 years of memories of that bridge in his heart.
“there used to be a bridge there when I was a boy, Grandpa
Joe will say to his grandchild someday… it was my favorite place to go to view
the world.”
No comments:
Post a Comment