Saturday, February 14, 2015

Happy Love Day!

Wow!  I can't believe its been over 6 months since I last sat down to write out some thoughts. NO wonder I have felt so out of sorts lately.  Writing for me is like breathing. It clears my head, makes me feel energized and gives me an outlet for some of the thoughts that crowd my brain.

I was looking back at some old blogs and had to laugh at the one titled I HATE VALENTINES.  I remember being single and feeling tortured on that day. Always felt like I had a big L on my forehead. LOSER. All day long flowers would be delivered.  Even the ones that got flowers from a boyfriend or spouse felt bad when a dozen roses came for one co-worker and the other had only received tulips.  I hated it with a passion.  Yesterday, Joe said at work he spent most of the day directing flower delivery people to the correct office to deliver roses, and boxes of candy, and balloons and stuffed animals.  And that he felt really bad for the women leaving after work with nothing but their briefcase, walking alongside someone with a dozen roses.  Being single on Valentines day was difficult.  But what I wrote in 2011, before I met Joe who makes every day special, is still good advise I think. 


 A date on a calendar, a card and a dinner for two doesn’t define who you are as a person.  At the end of that I HATE  VALENTINES DAY blog, which detailed all the miserable dates I had endured in my search for love, I wrote “Being single is actually OK most of the time. Independence is underrated. I am capable, honest, kind, loving, creative, funny, loyal and smart. I am a good person. Married or not.”.  Wise words!  All my single friends count your blessings that you haven’t settled for the “wrong person”.  Mr. Right and Mr. Right Now are two different things.  Patience if you long for love and Congratulations if you have decided that Single is your chosen path and you embrace it, think Valentines day is stupid and spend the day celebrating that you aren’t stuck with a moron. 

Today for Valentines Day, it was enough for me to wake up and be able to spend time with Joe.  We exchanged cards, mine was serious and his was funny.  I tried to make a heart shaped pancake for him but it came out looking like, well a round pancake, slightly burnt with a dent in the top.  Pretty  much like always.  Our Saturday routine was pretty much our Saturday routine.  Nothing out of the ordinary.. No need to do anything different just because its Valentines Day.  

I wonder what happened to the cartoonist that used to do those "Love is" cartoons.  Even as a little girl that was one of my favorite cartoons. Simple and straightforward.  Love is...coffee waiting for me by the bedside the minute he hears me stirring.  Love is.....Joe wearing extra clothes because I keep the RV at meatlocker temperature.  Love is...Joe giving me the pillow that still has fluff.  Love is...whatcha doing texts a couple of times a day because I know I'm on his mind.  Love is.....3 kisses goodnight, 3 kisses good morning, 3 kisses goodbye.  Love is...treating my sons like they are his own.  Love is.....knowing that regardless of what comes my way, he is there.  Ready to tackle the world with me and for me. 

The older I get, the more I realize that the most important things in life are not things at all.  Love, friendship, health.  Those are the big ones.   I am blessed with 2 of 3.  As for my health, well it could be worse.  I certainly see that every day in Hospice.  What makes the health difficulties a lot more bearable is that I have people who love me and uplift me in prayer and show genuine concern for my well being.  Those people, the ones who I love and the ones who love me are what make life worth celebrating...not just today on "valentines" day but every day.

Love is.....



No comments:

Post a Comment